Magnetizing Magnets Through Steel: Answers to Your Questions

In summary, magnets can be generated by using a coil and current, and the stronger the field, the more concentrated the magnetic flux will be.
barendfaber
Hi,

I once read (but simply now cannot find the site again!), that if you magnetize a magnet through steel, you can make it thousands of times stronger. Is this when you create the magnet, or does this mean when you build a magnetic generator, you need to attach the magnets to steel to achieve this? Or can you add magnets to the generator and use other materials than steel?

Physics news on Phys.org
To magnetize an object you need a coil and a current flowing through it in order to generate a magnetizing field. Maximum result is obtained when the coil is wound on a core of steel (or other ferromagnetic substance). The core has a small air gap where you put to object to be magnetized. I think your OP addressed this question

Thanks for the reply. I am all over the show but really keen to learn more about this. So just to confirm, I do not need to attach the magnets to steel in my magnetic generator, this just refers to when a magnet is created?

@Gordianus, what you are saying is electromagnetic induction, right?
@barendfaber, you can make a temporary magnet thru this, when a metal is polarized, it can attract other materials of the opposite polarity. Get an electric wire, wound it to an ordinary nail while both ends of the wire are connected to a battery. placed small metal clips below the wounded nail and see how are this clips being attracted. These are temporary magnets. Temporary because when you remove the current, it becomes ordinary nail again. Permanent magnets don't easily lose their polarities.
Correct me if I am wrong. :)

I think the question's a bit muddled up. When I read up about the details in the first post, I think I don't completely understand what they meant. So the question would be when I build a magnetic generator, does the magnets need to be attached to steel, and will this create a stronger magnetic field? Or can I just attach my magnets to any material inside the generator, as long as they are securely fastened?

@barendfaber, may i know how does your generator look like by just describing it to me? :)
thanks.

magnet attract steel

hi all. Just had a response from one of my other posts, just for your info check this out http://www.windenergy.nl/website/files/artikelen/AXIAL_FLUX_HowItWorks.pdf , page 4. Now I know the only purpose of the steel is to concentrate the magnetic flux between two opposite magnet poles, and capturing the flux in iron plates that would otherwise be wasted, we direct as much energy as we can through the gap between the faces.

When the plate is in contact with the magnet, the field lines can become very concentrated in the plate. They concentrate themselves in the plate, and if the plate is thick enough, very few lines emerge out the other side. Through the neodymium magnet itself, the magnetic strength doesn’t change much.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I magnetize a magnet through steel?

To magnetize a magnet through steel, you can use a process called electromagnetic induction. This involves running electricity through a coil of wire that is wrapped around the steel and magnet. The electricity creates a magnetic field that can magnetize the steel and magnet.

2. What materials do I need to magnetize a magnet through steel?

You will need a coil of wire, a power source such as a battery or electrical outlet, and the steel and magnet that you want to magnetize. Make sure the wire is insulated and the power source is appropriate for the amount of electricity needed for the size of the magnet and steel.

3. How long does it take to magnetize a magnet through steel?

The time it takes to magnetize a magnet through steel can vary depending on the size and strength of the magnet, as well as the amount of electricity used. In general, it can take a few seconds to several minutes for the magnetic field to be strong enough to magnetize the steel and magnet.

4. Can I magnetize any type of steel?

Yes, you can magnetize most types of steel as long as they are a ferromagnetic material, meaning they can be magnetized. However, some types of steel may require more electricity or multiple attempts to become fully magnetized.

5. How strong will the magnetized steel and magnet be?

The strength of the magnetized steel and magnet will depend on the strength of the original magnet, as well as the amount of electricity used during the magnetization process. The stronger the magnet and the more electricity used, the stronger the resulting magnetic field will be.