How to back calculate vehicle speed after crash?

In summary, the question is asking for the estimated speed of C2 before the crash, given the weights of the cars, the distance they traveled, and the friction coefficient. The person is considering using the momentum or kinetic energy approach to solve the problem and is seeking help with the calculations.
mcta
I am struggling on solving a car crash question. Could anyone help me out?

Statement:
Car 1 (C1) weighs 3,000kg, C2 weighs 12,00kg. C1 was at rest and hit by C2 from side. Both vehicles moved 4m in 1 second before total rest. In other words, C1 was pushed away from side for 4m and C2 traveled forward 10ft.

Question: Assuming the fraction coefficient of the dry road is 0.7. What is the estimated speed of C2 before crash?

I am not sure if I should solve this question by using Momentum (M)
M(before)=(Mass of C1 x Velocity of C1) + (Mass of C2 x Velocity of C2)
= (3,000 x 0) + (1,200 x V2)
=1,200V2

Upon crash, in the 1-second time, cars traveled 4m... so their speed after crash is 4m/s
M (After)=(Mass of C1 x 4m/s) + (mass of C2 x 4m/s)
=(3,000 x 4) + (1,200 x 4)

Now if I assume M (before) = M (after)... then I can figure out initial speed V2
But I did not use the friction here. Do I need any other factors for the calculation?

Or should I approach this question from kinetic energy approach
C2 was moving with kinetic energy: F2 = 0.5x (mass of C2) x (Velocity of C2)2
C1 was at rest, so no kinetic energy.
But I do not know how to proceed from here

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
mcta said:
I am struggling on solving a car crash question. Could anyone help me out?

Statement:
Car 1 (C1) weighs 3,000kg, C2 weighs 12,00kg. C1 was at rest and hit by C2 from side. Both vehicles moved 4m in 1 second before total rest. In other words, C1 was pushed away from side for 4m and C2 traveled forward 10ft.

Question: Assuming the fraction coefficient of the dry road is 0.7. What is the estimated speed of C2 before crash?

I am not sure if I should solve this question by using Momentum (M)
M(before)=(Mass of C1 x Velocity of C1) + (Mass of C2 x Velocity of C2)
= (3,000 x 0) + (1,200 x V2)
=1,200V2

Upon crash, in the 1-second time, cars traveled 4m... so their speed after crash is 4m/s
M (After)=(Mass of C1 x 4m/s) + (mass of C2 x 4m/s)
=(3,000 x 4) + (1,200 x 4)

Now if I assume M (before) = M (after)... then I can figure out initial speed V2
But I did not use the friction here. Do I need any other factors for the calculation?

Or should I approach this question from kinetic energy approach
C2 was moving with kinetic energy: F2 = 0.5x (mass of C2) x (Velocity of C2)2
C1 was at rest, so no kinetic energy.
But I do not know how to proceed from here

Any help is appreciated!
Since elastic collisions are almost ideal considering an inelastic collision the answer is worth easy since the cars have a common velocity after collision

1. How is vehicle speed calculated after a crash?

The vehicle speed after a crash can be calculated using the conservation of momentum principle. This involves measuring the mass of the vehicle, the change in velocity, and the time it takes for the vehicle to come to a complete stop. The equation used is V = (M * ΔV) / T, where V is the velocity, M is the mass, ΔV is the change in velocity, and T is the time.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of the back calculation of vehicle speed?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of back calculating vehicle speed after a crash. These include the condition of the road, the type of vehicle involved, any skid marks or debris on the road, the surface friction, and any external forces acting on the vehicle during the crash.

3. Can the back calculation of vehicle speed be used as evidence in a legal case?

Yes, the back calculation of vehicle speed can be used as evidence in a legal case. However, it is important to note that this method is not always 100% accurate and may be challenged by other evidence or expert testimony.

4. Is it possible to back calculate the speed of a vehicle after a rollover crash?

Yes, it is possible to back calculate the speed of a vehicle after a rollover crash. However, this method may be more challenging as the vehicle may have rotated and changed direction during the crash, making it difficult to determine the exact change in velocity.

5. Are there any limitations to using back calculation to determine vehicle speed after a crash?

Yes, there are limitations to using back calculation to determine vehicle speed after a crash. This method is dependent on various factors such as the accuracy of the measurements and the assumptions made about the crash. It is also important to note that back calculation may not be possible in cases where there is limited evidence or if the crash involved multiple vehicles.