Is the bachelor's important when one has a master's degree?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relevance of a bachelor's degree in the hiring process, particularly in the fields of applied mathematics and physics. It is mentioned that having both a bachelor's and master's degree in the same field may be redundant and could potentially harm one's chances of getting a job. However, having a bachelor's degree in one field and a master's in another may be beneficial for certain job opportunities.
Tosh5457
Do the employers care about the bachelor? For example if two persons, one with applied mathematics bachelor's and other with physics bachelor's, both have the same master's, can they get the same jobs?

I'm asking this because people with bachelor's in applied mathematics usually get hired for jobs in banks (in Portugal), and I don't know if both a physicist and applied mathematician, even with the same master's, have equal chances of getting a job in banks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bachelors doesn't matter after some years of work even if you do not have masters.

FAlonso said:
Bachelors doesn't matter after some years of work even if you do not have masters.

Thanks for the reply, it seems that almost nobody checks this section anymore...

I'm planning to get a master's degree after I get bachelor's, so would the bachelor count for anything?

In all seriousness, it depends.

If you get a bachelor's degree in physics, and the proceed to getting your master's in the same field (yes, physics), it would be incredibly redundant (not to mention making you look somewhat stupid) to put both 'BSc Physics' and 'MSc Physics' on your CV.

Should you have a bachelor's degree in physics, and then proceed to get a master's in math, it MIGHT be good to mention both. Let's say you want to work at a firm that specializes in robotics. Having a master's in mathematics is good, but if you can show that you have knowledge of physics as well (i.e. a bachelor's degree), that's even better. I think.

I can say that while a bachelor's degree may not be as important as a master's degree, it can still hold value in certain industries and job markets. Employers may consider a bachelor's degree as a baseline qualification for certain roles, and having a master's degree in addition to a bachelor's may give a candidate a competitive edge.

In terms of the specific example given, it is possible that both a physicist and an applied mathematician with the same master's degree could be considered for the same job in a bank. However, it ultimately depends on the specific job requirements and the skills and experience of the candidates. It is also important to note that a person's degree does not solely determine their qualifications for a job – their skills, experience, and overall fit for the role are also taken into consideration by employers.

Additionally, it is important to keep in mind that job opportunities and requirements may vary between different countries and industries. Therefore, it is not accurate to make generalizations about the job market based on one specific example.

In conclusion, while a master's degree may hold more weight in the eyes of employers, a bachelor's degree can still be valuable and may open up more job opportunities. Ultimately, a combination of education, skills, and experience is what employers are looking for in a candidate.

Related to Is the bachelor's important when one has a master's degree?

1. Is a bachelor's degree necessary if one already has a master's degree?

No, a master's degree is typically considered a higher level of education than a bachelor's degree. However, some industries or job positions may require both degrees for certain roles.

2. Can a master's degree replace the need for a bachelor's degree?

It depends on the field and the specific job requirements. In some cases, a master's degree may be enough to qualify for a job that typically requires a bachelor's degree. However, having both degrees can make a candidate more competitive in the job market.

3. Does having a master's degree make a bachelor's degree irrelevant?

No, a bachelor's degree is still an important foundation for further education and career opportunities. It provides a broad range of knowledge and skills that can be built upon with a master's degree.

4. Are there any benefits to having both a bachelor's and a master's degree?

Having both degrees can open up a wider range of job opportunities and may lead to higher earning potential. It also allows for a more specialized and in-depth understanding of a particular field.

5. Is it worth getting a bachelor's degree if I plan on pursuing a master's degree?

It depends on your career goals and personal preferences. Some people may choose to go straight into a master's program, while others may prefer to first obtain a bachelor's degree to gain a broader education and experience before specializing in a particular field with a master's degree.