Is Physics Right for You? | 3rd Year Undergrad Guide

• Physics
  • Thread starter Series
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, there are multiple factors that play a role in obtaining a top position in physics research. These include talent, politics, timing, luck, creativity, communication and social skills, and being in a "hot" field. The competitiveness and job prospects in the field can also be affected by the general economy. Researchers also tend to have a strong focus on their work and may not have much time for hobbies. There is also strong competition on a global scale, with top students from prestigious universities like MIT and Harvard in the US. Having research experience during holidays can also be beneficial when applying for a PhD.
Series
Is it true that only the most talented Physicists will get the top positions in physics research, or are there other factors that are more important than talent?

Also for those who went into academia, how did you guys decide that it was for you? I'm considering of going into research for physics, but I'm not entirely sure if that's what I'd enjoy most. I'm also discouraged by how difficult it is to even get a permanent position.

I'm a 3rd year undergrad by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only other factor is politics. If you're good at it (as well as having sufficient scientific talent) you can land more admin type jobs in the sciences.

There are a lot of factors involved. In general those who end up in academic research positions tend to be quite talented. I'm not sure what you mean by "top" positions though.

One of the big factors is being lucky enough to have a background in what turns out to be a "hot" field. In the years it takes to do a post doc and a PhD whatever you work on could become obsolete or simply no longer be of much interest to the wider academic community. On the other hand, your area of expertise could also take off - meaning there are more funding opportunities and therefore more job prospects.

Another big factor is creativity, I think. Some people are great at solving exam problems and do exactly what they're told during their graduate work, utlimately producing some good work. But when left to their own devices, particularly when having come through a system that doesn't often reward independent thinking, they don't know what to do. A lot of the more successful scientists I know have several great ideas in their minds at any given time and find that what they really need is the discipline to work on one thing at at time.

Communication and social skills are also huge. This specifically refers to the ability to write a successful grant application, and the ability to network. The more successful scientists I know are the ones at conferences who are able to approach different people and engage in exciting conversations in what appears to be an effortless manner.

Timing plays a big factor. You really don't have much control over this one. Sometimes you can get luck and happen to graduate or complete a post doc when several openings in your field are available. Sometimes there won't be anything for months and you have to figure out how to eat in the meantime. What the general economy is doing can also play a big role in this respect. During the dot com boom, PhDs were getting picked up left right and centre in the commercial sector. During a recession, lots of people will attempt to ride it out as students, creating a competative bolus.

Choppy said:
There are a lot of factors involved. In general those who end up in academic research positions tend to be quite talented. I'm not sure what you mean by "top" positions though.

One of the big factors is being lucky enough to have a background in what turns out to be a "hot" field. In the years it takes to do a post doc and a PhD whatever you work on could become obsolete or simply no longer be of much interest to the wider academic community. On the other hand, your area of expertise could also take off - meaning there are more funding opportunities and therefore more job prospects.

Another big factor is creativity, I think. Some people are great at solving exam problems and do exactly what they're told during their graduate work, utlimately producing some good work. But when left to their own devices, particularly when having come through a system that doesn't often reward independent thinking, they don't know what to do. A lot of the more successful scientists I know have several great ideas in their minds at any given time and find that what they really need is the discipline to work on one thing at at time.

Communication and social skills are also huge. This specifically refers to the ability to write a successful grant application, and the ability to network. The more successful scientists I know are the ones at conferences who are able to approach different people and engage in exciting conversations in what appears to be an effortless manner.

Timing plays a big factor. You really don't have much control over this one. Sometimes you can get luck and happen to graduate or complete a post doc when several openings in your field are available. Sometimes there won't be anything for months and you have to figure out how to eat in the meantime. What the general economy is doing can also play a big role in this respect. During the dot com boom, PhDs were getting picked up left right and centre in the commercial sector. During a recession, lots of people will attempt to ride it out as students, creating a competative bolus.
By top job, I guess I mean someone who's well known in their field. Not so much as someone like Stephen Hawking of course!

Also, researchers in general seem to be quite idiosyncratic and not spend much time on any hobbies outside of their work. Is this true to a certain extent?

Besides, I don't really know how strong competition is on a global scale. I mean, how would the top students in unis like MIT/Harvard in the US compare to Imperial College (which I go to)?

Also, is it useful to have research experience during the holidays when you apply for a PhD?

Thanks guys for your responses, they've been really helpful.

Last edited:

I can understand the concerns and uncertainties that come with considering a career in physics research. It is true that the field of physics is highly competitive and only the most talented and dedicated individuals will secure top positions in research. However, I believe there are other important factors besides talent that contribute to success in this field.

One of the most critical factors is passion and dedication towards the subject. Physics is a challenging and demanding field, and it requires a strong drive and motivation to succeed. A genuine interest in the subject can fuel this drive and help you overcome any obstacles that may come your way.

Additionally, perseverance, hard work, and continuous learning are essential qualities for a successful physicist. Research in physics is a continuous process, and it requires a lot of dedication and effort to make significant contributions to the field. It is not just about talent, but also about consistently putting in the work and pushing yourself to learn and grow as a scientist.

In terms of deciding whether academia is the right path for you, I would suggest gaining some research experience through internships or working on projects with professors to get a feel for what it is like to work in a research environment. This will help you determine if this is something you truly enjoy and are passionate about.

As for the difficulty of securing a permanent position in academia, it is true that there is a limited number of positions available and the competition is fierce. However, with hard work, dedication, and a strong passion for the subject, you can increase your chances of success and find fulfilling opportunities in the field of physics research.

In the end, the decision to pursue a career in physics research ultimately depends on your interests, strengths, and goals. It is important to carefully consider all factors and seek guidance from mentors and advisors before making a decision. I wish you all the best in your journey towards becoming a physicist.

1. What is the importance of studying physics as a third-year undergraduate?

As a third-year undergraduate, studying physics can provide you with a strong foundation in scientific principles and critical thinking skills. It also allows you to delve deeper into various subfields of physics and gain a more specialized understanding of the subject.

2. What skills and qualities are needed to excel in physics as a third-year undergraduate?

To excel in physics as a third-year undergraduate, you will need a strong background in mathematics, problem-solving skills, curiosity, and perseverance. Additionally, critical thinking, analytical reasoning, and attention to detail are all essential qualities for success in physics.

3. What are some potential career paths for those with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to a wide range of career opportunities, including research and development, engineering, data science, teaching, and even entrepreneurship. Many graduates also pursue further education in fields such as astrophysics, particle physics, or medical physics.

4. What are some common challenges faced by third-year undergraduate physics students?

Some common challenges faced by third-year undergraduate physics students include the rigor and complexity of coursework, time management, and balancing multiple lab assignments and projects. Another challenge can be understanding abstract concepts and applying them to real-world problems.

5. How can I prepare for a successful third year as a physics undergraduate?

To prepare for a successful third year as a physics undergraduate, it is crucial to stay organized and manage your time effectively. It would also be beneficial to review and solidify your understanding of fundamental concepts from previous years and seek help from professors or peers when needed. Additionally, try to get involved in research projects or internships to gain hands-on experience and explore potential career paths.