Constucting a C-infinity Function

• Thread starter art777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is about constructing a C-infinity Odd Function in Matlab with a positive time derivative and a finite limit as |x(t)-y(t)| goes to infinity. The person seeking help is wondering how to incorporate a saturation function to make the function finite and how to make it continuous on a discrete set of points.
art777
Hi!I am trying to construct in Matlab a C-infinity Odd Finction whose time derivative is always positive. The function is; f=x(t)-y(t). The function goes to a finite limit as |x(t)-y(t)| tends to infinity. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question. If |x(t)-y(t)| goes to infinity, then f(t) = x(t)-y(t) can't go to a finite value. Do you mean as t goes to infinity, perhaps?

C-infinity

Thanks for the reply. Well if x(t)-y(t) goes to high values, well we need to saturate it with some kind of saturation function. That way we can make
f(t) finite. So how do we smoothen the function and incorporate saturation?

I don't know what you mean by a C-infinity function in Matlab. Wouldn't it only be defined on a discrete set of points? In what sense is it continuous?

1. What is a C-infinity function?

A C-infinity function is a mathematical function that has derivatives of all orders, meaning it is smooth and continuous. It is also referred to as an infinitely differentiable function.

2. Why is constructing a C-infinity function important?

C-infinity functions are important in various fields of mathematics and science, such as differential equations, physics, and engineering. They allow for more precise and accurate modeling of real-world phenomena and can help solve complex problems.

3. How do you construct a C-infinity function?

To construct a C-infinity function, one must start with a basic function and then use mathematical operations, such as addition, multiplication, and composition, to create a more complex function. The key is to ensure that the function is continuously differentiable at all points.

4. Can any function be made into a C-infinity function?

No, not all functions can be made into a C-infinity function. For a function to be C-infinity, it must have derivatives of all orders, which is not always possible for certain types of functions, such as discontinuous or non-differentiable functions.

5. What are some practical applications of C-infinity functions?

C-infinity functions have various practical applications, including in physics for modeling motion and in engineering for designing structures and systems. They are also used in data analysis and signal processing to smooth out noisy data and make more accurate predictions.