Equipment for Hobbyist: Motors, Gears, Microcontrollers

• Thread starter oneamp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equipment
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in playing with motors, gears, and building basic devices controlled by microcontrollers. They have looked at different sets, such as erector and lego, but have not found anything suitable. They are seeking recommendations for kits to use for building and experimenting with these components. The speaker also mentions their competence with electronics and seeks a kit specifically for the mechanical side of things. Suggestions are given for various tools, project kits, and resources such as eBay and electronics suppliers. The conversation ends with a question about the speaker's specific goals and project, in order to provide more tailored suggestions.
oneamp
I want to start playing around with motors, gears, and things like that. I would like to build some basic devices that I can control with microcontrollers. I have looked around at sets for building things... erector, lego, etc. But I haven't found anything acceptable; lego is close with gears, rods, pulleys, etc. available, but it's too toyish for me. What are some kits that I can buy to play with and build things?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to make basic electronic devices you can use breadboards, scoldering iron, multimeter, resistors,transistors,capacitors,diodes,pliers,utility knifes, epoxy,xacto knifes,etc.. but if you want to learn electronics you should learn ohms law very well. You can start by learning ohms law and getting an electronics project kit like the radio shack 300 in 1 project kit. Most of the electronics I do is with rc planes and radios. I do fix basic devices though.

I want a kit for the mechanical side of things. I am already competent and equipped for the electronics side.

eBay has stepper motors and gears for making cnc and 3d printer projects. Tractor supply and northern tool or a bike shop have gears chain metal for framework. Controllers like arduino (smartphone driven) and axis control boards(pc driven) also on eBay. Software is free using Mach 3 evaluation copy. Sensors and microdevice, try getting free catalog to electronics suppliers. What are you building or hoping to achieve? That answer will narrow my suggestion matrix.

I would recommend looking into STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) kits specifically designed for hobbyists and DIY projects. These kits often include motors, gears, and microcontrollers, along with other components and instructions for building various devices. Some popular options include Arduino kits, Raspberry Pi kits, and robotics kits. Additionally, there are many online resources and communities dedicated to hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts, where you can find inspiration, tutorials, and support for your projects. Happy experimenting!

1. What is the purpose of motors in hobbyist equipment?

Motors are used in hobbyist equipment to provide mechanical motion or power. They convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, allowing for the movement of gears, wheels, or other components.

2. How do I choose the right motor for my project?

The right motor for your project will depend on factors such as the desired speed, torque, and power supply. It is important to research and understand the specifications of different motors to determine which one will best suit your needs.

3. Can I control the speed of a motor?

Yes, the speed of a motor can be controlled through the use of a microcontroller. By adjusting the voltage or current supplied to the motor, you can change its speed. Some motors also have built-in speed control features.

4. What are gears used for in hobbyist equipment?

Gears are used to transfer and modify the motion or power from one component to another. They can change the speed, direction, and torque of a motor, allowing for more precise control and movement in hobbyist projects.

5. Do I need to have programming knowledge to use microcontrollers in hobbyist equipment?

While having programming knowledge can be helpful, it is not always necessary to use microcontrollers in hobbyist equipment. Many microcontrollers come with pre-written code or can be programmed through user-friendly software. However, having a basic understanding of coding can allow for more customization and advanced control of the equipment.