What happens to the inverse function at infinity?

In summary: This means that the inverse function g(x) has two asymptotes at x = \infty.In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of the inverse function of a function with poles at certain real numbers. It is shown that the inverse function has two asymptotes at infinity due to the existence of two solutions in the set of complex numbers.
zetafunction
let be a function [tex] y=f(x) [/tex] with poles [tex] f(a_{i} ) = \infty [/tex] for some real 'a'

my question is if we define the inverse function g(x) so [tex] g(f(x))=x [/tex] ,then is this true

[tex] g(\infty)=a_{i} [/tex] my question is that it seems that g(x) would have several asymptotes as x-->oo how it can be ??

Physics news on Phys.org
The function

[tex]
f(x) = \frac{A}{x - a} + \frac{B}{x - b}
[/tex]

has two simple poles at [itex]x = a, b[/itex]. However, if you try to solve for its inverse, you get:

[tex]
x = \frac{A}{y - a} + \frac{B}{y - b}
[/tex]

[tex]
x (y - a) (y - b) = A (y - b) + B (y -a)
[/tex]

[tex]
x y^{2} - (a + b) x y + a b x = (A + B) y - A b - B a
[/tex]

[tex]
x y^{2} - [(a + b) x + (A + B)] y + (a b x + A b + B a) = 0
[/tex]

This is a quadratic equation that has two roots in the set of complex numbers, corresponding to two branches of the inverse function. For the behavior at [itex]x = \infty[/itex], you need to make the substitution [itex] x \rightarrow 1/x[/itex]

[tex]
\frac{1}{x} y^{2} - [\frac{a + b}{x} + (A + B)] y + (\frac{a b}{x} + A b + B a) = 0
[/tex]

Multiply out with [itex]x[/itex]

[tex]
y^{2} - [(a + b) + (A + B) x] y + [a b + (A b + B a) x] = 0
[/tex]

and take [itex]x = 0[/itex], and you get:

[tex]
y^{2} - (a + b) y + a b = 0 \Rightarrow (y - a)(y - b) = 0
[/tex]

As you can see, there are two solutions even at infinity.

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that "undoes" another function. It is the opposite of the original function and works by swapping the input and output values. In other words, if a function f(x) maps x to y, then the inverse function f^-1(x) maps y back to x.

2. How can I determine if a function has an inverse?

A function must be one-to-one (i.e. each input has a unique output) in order to have an inverse. To check this, you can use the horizontal line test - if a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not one-to-one and does not have an inverse.

3. What are poles in a function?

Poles are points where a function is undefined, typically because the denominator of the function becomes zero. In other words, the function has a vertical asymptote at these points.

4. How can I find the poles of a function?

To find the poles of a function, set the denominator to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting values are the poles of the function. However, it is important to note that not all functions have poles.

5. Can every function be inverted?

No, not every function can be inverted. As mentioned before, a function must be one-to-one in order to have an inverse. Some functions, like horizontal lines and parabolas, do not meet this criteria and therefore do not have an inverse. Additionally, some functions may have restrictions or conditions that prevent them from being inverted.