Show that W is a subset of V^3

• Thread starter fishingspree2
  • Start date
In summary: However, the vectors given are not a basis so it is possible that W is not a subspace of V^3. For example, if i= j= k= 1, then [tex]v_1= 0[/tex] so the zero vector is in the subspace. But then [tex]v_2= 3[/tex] so the subspace includes [tex]3(1, 1, 1)= (3, 3, 3)[/tex]. However, [tex]2(1, 1, 1)+ (1, 0, 0)= (2, 1, 1)[/tex] is not in the subs
fishingspree2
We have W = [v1,v2,v3,v4]

v1=i-k
v2=i+j+k
v3=j+2k
v4=2i+j

Show that W is a subspace of V3.
first, vector 0 is obviously in W.

then,
let u = n1v1+n2v2+n3v3+n4v4 ∈ W
and v = s1v1+s2v2+s3v3+s4v4 ∈ W

and p ∈ reals

then u+pv
=(n1+ps1)v1+(n2+ps2)v2+(n3+ps3)v3+(n4+ps4)v4
∈ W

Am i completely proving that W is a subspace of V3 (the 3 dimensional space)? I am not quite sure because I am not even using the explicit given vectors.
Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
By V^3, do you mean R^3? It seems fine since you proved it in the general case by satisfying the three conditions.

I would suggest calculating:

v3-v4+2v1
v3+v4-2v2

and what these results tell you?

Your post is very confusing! You titled this "show that W is a subset of V^3" which is quite different from saying "show that W is a subspace of V^3".

You then say W= [v1, v2, v3, v4]. Are we to assume that you mean that W is the span of those vectors? And are we to assume those vectors are in V^3?

The span of a collection of vectors is always a subspace of the space they exist in, pretty much from the definition of "span"- since every linear combination is, by definition, in the "span", certainly sums and scalar products are.

Probably the problem was to show that it is a proper subspace.

1. What does it mean for W to be a subset of V^3?

When we say that W is a subset of V^3, it means that every element in W is also an element of V^3. In other words, W contains a smaller or equal number of elements compared to V^3, and all of its elements are also present in V^3.

2. How can we prove that W is a subset of V^3?

To prove that W is a subset of V^3, we need to show that every element in W is also an element of V^3. This can be done by taking an arbitrary element from W and showing that it is also present in V^3. Alternatively, we can show that the set of all elements in W is a subset of the set of all elements in V^3.

3. What is the difference between a subset and a proper subset?

A subset is a set that contains all the elements of another set. A proper subset, on the other hand, is a subset that contains some, but not all, of the elements of another set. In other words, a proper subset is a subset that is smaller than the original set.

4. Can a set be a subset of itself?

Yes, a set can be a subset of itself. This is because a set contains all of its elements, so it automatically meets the criteria for being a subset of itself. However, it is not considered a proper subset since it is the same size as the original set.

5. How does showing that W is a subset of V^3 relate to scientific research?

In scientific research, sets are often used to represent different groups or categories of data. Showing that W is a subset of V^3 can be useful in analyzing and comparing different sets of data, as it allows us to determine if W is a smaller or equal group compared to V^3. This can help us draw conclusions and make predictions based on the relationship between the two sets.