Has Firefox Dethroned Internet Explorer at PF?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Firefox has overtaken Internet Explorer at PF. I'm looking at a 30 day range from Jan 25th to Feb 25th. Firefox is at 39%, IE 38%, Chrome at 11% and Safari 8%. Very interesting!
For the first time, Firefox has overtaken Internet Explorer at PF. I'm looking at a 30 day range from Jan 25th to Feb 25th. Firefox is at 39%, IE 38%, Chrome at 11% and Safari 8%. Very interesting! Tides have turned!

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting that Chrome is at 11% considering how recently it was first released in relation to other browsers.

Average PF visiotr is not a Joe I. E. Average.

Firefox owns. Drinks are on me:tongue2:

Do the statistics change if you remove (say for instance) the 10% most active members ? I'm worried that this statistics reflects the 10% of members doing the 90% of the activity :smile:

</nitpicking>

humanino said:
Do the statistics change if you remove (say for instance) the 10% most active members ? I'm worried that this statistics reflects the 10% of members doing the 90% of the activity :smile:

</nitpicking>

The stats track total visitors. Members make up less than 1% of forum visits.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Members make up less than 1% of forum visits.
I find that more surprising than Firefox surpassing IE.

Anyway to track stats of just the members?

Evo said:
Anyway to track stats of just the members?

Yeah, I'll set the tracking code inside a conditional.

Computer illiterate questions.

1) How can you tell?

2) What else do you know about us? :eek:

3) I did migrate from IE to Firefox. I know it is better from the point of view of security. As user experience it seems to me hardly different from IE, maybe I do not do all that many kinds of thing. OTOH I am now trying out GoogleChrome and that is noticeably different. My impression is it is quite a bit nicer in absolute. But not so much in practice as, unlike my memory of my IE -> FF migration, a lot of stuff does not very easily transfer from my lived-in FF setup. It took quite some effort to export/import the toolbar, the favourites/bookmarks - actually someone had to do it for me but found difficult. There are a lot of things I haven't sorted out yet, spellcheck language, or in the favourites, I have a lot, now in FF if I want to go to PF in favourites I press P and it goes to P and PF is one of a few there. But in GC I have to scroll down the favourites which is not so nice. A lot of little inconveniences like that and I'm not sure I want to spend time and maybe annoyance tailoring it for me.

But any other opinions of interest.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
1) How can you tell?

I use Google Analytics

You're wearing a red sweater, drinking apple tea and thinking about your taxes. :D

I hate firefox. It's too bulky.

epenguin said:

If you don't stop playing with yourself, your elbow will never get better.

Clue: search for "WalMart Urinalysis" joke.

epenguin said:

1) How can you tell?

Greg uses Google Analytics, but all these information can be found in server logs. For example (this is from my server):

Code:
75-43-23-27.lightspeed.austtx.sbcglobal.net - - [21/Feb/2010:00:54:49 +0100] "GET /chembuddy/?left=concentration&right=percentage-to-molarity HTTP/1.1" 200 8637 "https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=118805" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100202 Firefox/3.5.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)"

First part - that's from where the person was, austtx obviously means Austin, Texas, IP locator gives more precise address of Pflugerville (this is not the original IP, I have modified it a little bit, but it still points to the same city). Then comes time/date. Then - what page the person tried to see. 200 means everything went OK, 8637 is number of bytes sent in answer. Next part - the person came to see my page following link from physicsforums thread. Finally - it was someone using Firefox on (most likely) Windows Seven.

Note that it is only an example and it is not all information that is exchanged between computers during HTTP session and can be logged, it can be also formatted differently.

You apparently attract a special crowd here, on the lab website that I administer we get 50.2% IE, 25.2% Firefox, 17.8% Safari, 3% Opera, 2% Chrome and 1.4% Mozilla. I do think it is worth a party though :smile:

firefox is good and fast in browsing
l like it

1. What is Firefox and IE?

Firefox and IE (Internet Explorer) are both web browsers, or software programs used to access and view websites on the internet. They allow users to navigate through websites and display their content.

2. What does it mean for Firefox to overtake IE at PF?

Firefox overtaking IE at PF means that the web browser Firefox has surpassed Internet Explorer in terms of usage and popularity among users on the website PF (a hypothetical website). This could be measured by factors such as number of visits, page views, or downloads.

3. Why is this significant?

This is significant because it reflects a shift in the preferences and habits of internet users. It also shows the success and competitiveness of the Firefox browser in the market.

4. How did Firefox overtake IE at PF?

The exact reasons for Firefox overtaking IE at PF may vary, but some possible factors could include frequent updates and improvements made to Firefox, a strong user base and community, and potentially negative feedback or dissatisfaction with IE among PF users.

5. Will this trend continue in the future?

It is difficult to predict the future, but based on past trends, it is possible that Firefox will continue to gain popularity and overtake IE at other websites as well. However, this could also change depending on updates and developments in both browsers and the preferences of internet users.