Exploring Gravitation: A Review of Kip Thorne and John Wheeler's Book

In summary: I highly recommend it.In summary, the book Gravitation is a technical textbook on general relativity and on a scale of 1-5 (1-easy 5 extremely hard) I would rate it as a 3.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i wonder, the book by kip thorne and john wheeler called gravitation, is it a technical textbook on gr? and on a scale of 1-5 (1-easy 5 extremely hard) how would you rate this book?
are there any other challenging textbooks on GR?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
neutrino, i too hope that someday i would have a spare time to read this monumental textbook. (that with the principia mathematica by russel and whitehead are hardcore texts in their respective fields).

Gravitation is the one that I studied, and I highly recommend. I have read Wald's book, and I don't think that it is as pedogagical as is Gravitation (though I have a slight bias).

Or you could look into PAM Dirac's "General Relativity", it's probably the hardest book I've read on General Relativity.

Wald's book is a tough nut, very terse and not very friendly, but it still has much material not found in other books.

I recently got Carroll's graduate text, and it's much more friendly than Wald. But I paid $70 for a used copy. :eek:

Can anyone claim to have read all of MTW? What a monster. Still a cool book to dip into now and then.

Daverz said:
Wald's book is a tough nut, very terse and not very friendly, but it still has much material not found in other books.

I find amusing what Wald said about the exercises in his book: ' ... and none (exercises) which are, in my opinion, inordinately difficult (i.e., I think I can solve them).'

This, from one of the world's leading experts on relativity!

I recently got Carroll's graduate text, and it's much more friendly than Wald. But I paid $70 for a used copy. :eek:

Chapter 9 is worth the price of admission.

Can anyone claim to have read all of MTW? What a monster.

Not me.

Still a cool book to dip into now and then.

It's sitting open on my desk as I type.

1. What is the main focus of "Exploring Gravitation"?

The main focus of "Exploring Gravitation" is to provide a comprehensive review of the theories and concepts surrounding the study of gravity, as presented by Kip Thorne and John Wheeler in their book "Gravitation".

2. Who are Kip Thorne and John Wheeler?

Kip Thorne and John Wheeler are two renowned scientists and physicists who have made significant contributions to the study of gravity and its effects on the universe. They are the authors of the book "Gravitation", which serves as the basis for "Exploring Gravitation".

3. How is this book helpful for understanding gravitation?

"Exploring Gravitation" provides a comprehensive and accessible review of the theories and concepts surrounding gravity, making it a valuable resource for understanding this complex topic. It also includes examples and explanations that help to clarify and illustrate these concepts.

4. Is this book suitable for non-scientists?

While "Exploring Gravitation" is written by scientists for scientists, it can still be beneficial for non-scientists who have an interest in understanding the fundamentals of gravity. The book is written in a clear and engaging style, making it accessible to a wider audience.

5. What sets "Exploring Gravitation" apart from other books on the topic?

One of the unique aspects of "Exploring Gravitation" is its focus on the book "Gravitation" by Kip Thorne and John Wheeler. By using this book as a basis, the authors provide a thorough and in-depth exploration of the theories and concepts surrounding gravity. Additionally, the book includes discussions and debates on controversial topics within the field, making it a valuable resource for those looking to delve deeper into the subject.