Horizontal rotating rod with another mass attached

In summary, a uniform rod with a particle attached to one end is released from rest and allowed to rotate freely in a vertical plane. By considering the moment of inertia and torque, the angular acceleration of the rod at a specific point in its rotation can be calculated in terms of its length and the acceleration due to gravity. Although the angular acceleration is not constant throughout the motion, this method can still be used to find its value at any point.
zinc79

Homework Statement

A uniform rod AB, of length (2a) and mass (m) has a particle of mass (0.5m) attached to B. The rod is smoothly hinged at (A) to a fixed point and can rotate without resistance in a vertical plane. It is released from rest with AB horizontal. Find, in terms of (a) and (g), the angular acceleration of the rod when it has rotated through an angle of (pi/3).

Homework Equations

C = I*(alpha) = (Sum of torques)

alpha = angular acceleration
I = Moment of Inertia

The Attempt at a Solution

I of rod at (A) = (1/3)ma^2 + 1ma^2 = (4/3)ma^2
I of particle at (A) = 2(0.5m)(2a)^2 = 2ma^2
therefore total I at (A) = (10/3)ma^2

thus, (total I)*(alpha) = (mg*a) + (0.5mg * 2a)
which gives (alpha) = 3g/5a

The answer is (apparently) correct.

But the question I asked myself later is, how does this equation apply at all when the total torque is not constant? The wight acts downwards all the time, which means that the force, due to weight, on the rod + particle is perpendicular only at first when they were horizontal. As the object rotates downwards, the torque, i.e. (perpendicular force) * (distance of force from pivot) decreases as the perpendicular force acting becomes a decreasing fraction of the weight. This means that the angular acceleration is not constant.

If I am correct that the method applied above is faulty, then should I use energy equations of the initial and final state to find the final angular velocity? Is that correct? And even if I do find the final angular velocity, what form of angular acceleration am I supposed to find anyway when it (alpha) is not constant to being with?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As the rod falls, the torque and resulting angular acceleration are not constant. That's why you were asked to calculate the angular acceleration at one particular point. There's nothing wrong with the method--you can use it to find the angular acceleration at any point in the motion.

(Don't confuse angular acceleration with angular velocity.)

I would point out that the method used in the solution is correct. The equation used, (total I)*(alpha) = (mg*a) + (0.5mg * 2a), is the equation for the sum of torques, which is valid for any rotating object regardless of the torque being constant or not. The key is that the equation takes into account the changing torque by using the total moment of inertia, which includes the mass and distribution of mass of both the rod and the attached particle.

Using energy equations to find the final angular velocity is also a valid approach, but it may be more complicated and time-consuming compared to using the sum of torques equation. Additionally, finding the final angular velocity does not necessarily provide information about the angular acceleration, which is what the question is asking for.

The angular acceleration in this case is not constant, but it is still a useful and valid quantity to calculate. It represents the rate of change of the angular velocity, and can be used to predict the motion of the object in the future. In fact, most objects do not have constant angular acceleration, but this does not make the concept any less useful or applicable.

In summary, the method used in the solution is correct and valid, and the equation used (sum of torques) is applicable to any rotating object, regardless of the torque being constant or not. Using energy equations or finding the final angular velocity may also be valid approaches, but they may be more complicated and may not provide the same information as the angular acceleration.

FAQ: Horizontal rotating rod with another mass attached

1. How does a horizontal rotating rod with another mass attached work?

The horizontal rotating rod with another mass attached works by using centripetal force to keep the attached mass moving in a circular path. This force is provided by the tension in the rod, which pulls the mass towards the center of the circle.

2. What factors affect the rotation of the horizontal rod with an attached mass?

The rotation of the horizontal rod with an attached mass is affected by the mass of the attached object, the length and strength of the rod, and the speed of rotation. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also have an impact.

3. How can I calculate the velocity of the attached mass in a horizontal rotating rod?

The velocity of the attached mass can be calculated using the formula v = ωr, where v is the velocity, ω is the angular velocity (in radians per second), and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the attached mass.

4. Can the horizontal rotating rod with an attached mass be used to generate energy?

Yes, the horizontal rotating rod with an attached mass can be used to generate energy through rotational motion. This can be achieved by attaching a generator to the rod, which converts the rotational energy into electrical energy.

5. What is the purpose of using a horizontal rotating rod with an attached mass in scientific experiments?

The horizontal rotating rod with an attached mass is commonly used in scientific experiments to demonstrate concepts related to circular motion, centripetal force, and conservation of energy. It can also be used to measure the effects of different variables on the rotation of the attached mass.