Need to find Density and specific heat of NaOH

In summary, the conversation is about finding calorimeter constants and using NaOH in an experiment. The professor did not provide the density or specific heat of the substance, but instead provided it for .5 M NaCl. The student is trying to find the specific heat and density for 1.1 M NaOH and is unsure how to do so with the given information. They suggest using the equation n=m/M to find the moles of NaOH if the mass is known, but they are unsure how to obtain the mass from the given information.
Centara

Homework Statement

We're finding calorimeter constants and we're using NaOH as one of the products. Our professor failed to provide us with the density or specific heat of the substance we were using, instead he provided it for .5 M of NaCl. I needed to find out the specific heat and density for 1.1 M NaOH. We used 50 mL of the solution in our experiment but I can't figure out how to come up with these from any information we have.

Thanks for any speedy help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equationsn=m/M The Attempt at a Solution I'm thinking that the molar mass of NaCl and NaOH would be the same, so I could use the equation n=m/M to find the moles of NaOH if I had the mass of NaOH. I'm just not sure how to get the mass of NaOH from the information given.

it is important to always have accurate and relevant information when conducting experiments. In this case, it seems that your professor may have overlooked providing the density and specific heat of NaOH for your experiment. However, this information can easily be obtained through research or calculations.

To find the density of 1.1 M NaOH, you can use the molarity formula: Molarity = moles of solute / volume of solution (in liters). Since you know the volume of solution (50 mL), you just need to calculate the moles of NaOH present in 50 mL of a 1.1 M solution. Once you have the moles, you can use the molar mass of NaOH (40 g/mol) to convert to grams and then divide by the volume in liters (0.05 L) to find the density in g/mL.

To find the specific heat of NaOH, you can use the formula: Specific heat = heat absorbed / (mass x change in temperature). In your experiment, you can measure the temperature change of the NaOH solution and calculate the heat absorbed by the calorimeter. Then, knowing the mass of the solution (50 mL) and the change in temperature, you can solve for the specific heat.

Alternatively, you can also search for the density and specific heat values of NaOH in a reliable source such as a chemistry handbook or online database. Just make sure to double check the units and make any necessary conversions to match the units used in your experiment.

I hope this helps with your experiment and good luck with your research!

1) What is the formula for calculating density?

The formula for calculating density is mass divided by volume. In other words, density = mass/volume.

2) How do you measure the mass of NaOH?

The mass of NaOH can be measured using a balance or scale. The NaOH is placed on the balance and the reading in grams is recorded.

3) What is the unit of measurement for density?

The unit of measurement for density is typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm^3) for solids and liquids, and grams per liter (g/L) for gases. However, other units such as kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3) or pounds per cubic inch (lb/in^3) may also be used.

4) How do you find the volume of NaOH?

The volume of NaOH can be found by measuring the volume of the container it is in, or by calculating the volume using the dimensions of the container (length x width x height).

5) What is the specific heat of NaOH?

The specific heat of NaOH is 1.38 Joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g·°C). This means that it takes 1.38 Joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of NaOH by 1 degree Celsius.