Can you count all the F's in this text?

• Thread starter The riddler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Count
In summary, the conversation involves counting the number of "F" in a given text, with varying answers and approaches from different individuals. The correct answer is 6, but some initially thought it was 1 due to a typo.
The riddler
This is cool

Count every " F" in the following text:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS...

How many?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see 6

The riddler said:
This is cool

SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH

How many?

obviously not 3.Could it be 23?

Read it agin, SLOWLY

The riddler said:
Read it agin, SLOWLY

Whoops I can't count.I make it 21

The riddler said:
This is cool

SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH

How many?

SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH

How many?[/QUOTE]

I count 1. This may be the old school knowledge of html in me but you have written "SPACE F" which translates in html to: " F"

The only place I see " F", i.e. "SPACE F"/" F" (underline=space) is on the first line after the "D", i.e.:

SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH

Sorry swatforlife but i have no idea what you talking about.

Just read the text and tell me how many F's you see.

The riddler said:
Sorry swatforlife but i have no idea what you talking about.

Just read the text and tell me how many F's you see.

I must admit I like swatforlife answer. And you have just changed the question. F and " F" are different things.

yeah, swat4lifes anwser is quite clever.

Spoiler:
The point of the text is that when most people read this text they only count 3 F's and they miss out the "ofs", also if you count all 6 F's you are supposed to be a genius.
I only counted 3 :mad:

Yes I only counted three separate Fs as well but I saw each letter E as being made of two Fs one being upside down and rotated.

At first I counted 6 but then i noticed that you had put a space " F" in your OP so I thought that had somethign to do with it lol. now reading the answers I can see that the correct answer was 6

The riddler said:
Spoiler:
The point of the text is that when most people read this text they only count 3 F's and they miss out the "ofs", also if you count all 6 F's you are supposed to be a genius.
I only counted 3 :mad:

The riddler said:
yeah, swat4lifes anwser is quite clever.

Haha - tx. I'm either a genius or a "5 under par" retard, lol.

Actually, to be cheeky, in terms of a "correct" answer, I guess it depends on what one is "reading" and a clear statement of the assumptions necessary for the answer to be deemed "correct".

Are you reading what's obvious (words) or more subtle - in this case binary code.

For instance, "F", " F" and "OF" are all different numerically/mathematically i.e binary code.

Specifically in terms of the binary code:

"F" - is 01000110
" F" -is 00100000 01000110
"OF" -is 01001111 01000110

so "OF" and " F" and "F" all mean something different. Actually, there's one more variation I've just noticed as well...

The question says:
Count every: " F"

and in binary code ' " F" ' [i.e. (quote)+(space)+(F)+(quote)] is:
00100010 00100000 01000110 00100010

So I guess it's all open to interpretation, huh? :smile:

fun binary code encoder --> www. theproblemsite. com/codes/binary.asp

quick edit/update:
In this last answer, I assumed that a space, was used to denote unique ideas/variables, so the command was to count everything that appeared after the phrase "count every". This is a reasonable assumption as we don't normally write something like

Iwanttogotothestore
. We separate unique ideas/variables like:

I want to go to the store
. So everything that appeared after "count every" was counted -", SPACE, F, "
In my first answer, I assumed that the variable(s) in question were defined by everything inside of the quotes i.e. "SPACE F"/" F"

I'm getting the feeling I'm spending far to much time around certain kinds of forums and tech related individuals, lol

Last edited:
You might be spending a bit to much time with that tech stuff, but at least it seems your not half bad at it.

lol i originally thought 1 because you had a space before F, but then figured it was a typo

and if yoou count all 6, u arent a genius. i got them all, and I am not a genius

[QUOTE

and if yoou count all 6, u arent a genius. i got them all, and I am not a genius[/QUOTE]

Don't say that ,you will upset Borek:biggrin:

FAQ: Can you count all the F's in this text?

What is "Count the F's"?

"Count the F's" is a popular brain teaser that challenges individuals to count the number of letter F's in a given sentence or paragraph.

Why is it difficult to count the F's?

The difficulty in counting the F's lies in the fact that our brains tend to skip over the word "of" when reading, leading us to overlook the letter F in the word.

What strategies can be used to successfully count the F's?

One strategy is to read the sentence or paragraph slowly and deliberately, paying close attention to each word. Another strategy is to use a pencil or finger to physically point to each letter F as you come across it.

Is there a specific number of F's that can be found in a sentence or paragraph?

No, there is no set number of F's that can be found in a sentence or paragraph as it can vary depending on the length and complexity of the text.

Why is "Count the F's" considered a brain teaser?

"Count the F's" is considered a brain teaser because it challenges our cognitive abilities and forces us to think outside of our normal reading patterns.