Book on Tensors & General Relativity for Beginners

In summary, a good introductory book for learning both tensors and general relativity would be Carrol's "An Introduction to General Relativity" or Schutz's "A First Course in General Relativity". However, it is important to consider one's level of understanding in physics and math before choosing a book. Other recommended books include "General Relativity: A Guide for Physicists" by Hobson et al, "Relativity Demystified" by McMahon, and a reference for tensors. Practice and additional resources, such as Alan Lightman's problems and solutions book, are also beneficial in mastering the concepts.
vinven7
HI,

could someone please suggest me a good book to learn both Tensors as well as General relativity? It has to be introductory.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your background in physics and math? Do you good working knowledge, (i.e, able to do textbook problems) of special relativity, multivariable calculus, and linear algebra?

I think the best introductory GR book is Carrol's (though this will depend on your level).

nicksauce said:
I think the best introductory GR book is Carrol's (though this will depend on your level).

I think Carroll's book will be way too mathematically challenging to someone who might just wish to learn the physics the first time around. Unless one is looking to learn things in a mathematical fashion, I wouldn't suggest Carroll. Since the OP is only asking for an intro text, I would certainly not go for Carroll straight away.

@vinven7

As an intro text, I recommend Schutz's "A First Course In General Relativity". I myself am using it at the present as a reference. He has a really good presentation of the math involved while making certain the physics isn't sidelined.

anirudh215 said:
As an intro text, I recommend Schutz's "A First Course In General Relativity".
I don't have Schutz, but my understanding is that, contrary to the title it is primarily focused on SR, but it uses tensors and other such concepts that generalize easily. Is that correct?

anirudh215 said:
Since the OP is only asking for an intro text, I would certainly not go for Carroll straight away.

The problem is that "intro" means many things to many people. Since Carroll's text is entitled "An Introduction to General Relativity", I assume there must be some people who would consider it an introductory text. But we can't really know more without hearing back from the OP.

DaleSpam said:
I don't have Schutz, but my understanding is that, contrary to the title it is primarily focused on SR, but it uses tensors and other such concepts that generalize easily. Is that correct?

Here is the table of contents.

Last edited by a moderator:
general relativity - a guide for physicsts, by Hobson et al

For the money, consider Relativity Demystified by McMahon. You can buy them used on the internet for a few dollars.

I just finished Chapter 4 on Tensor Calculus. It took much practice, but I am getting the hang of it.

DaleSpam said:

I don't think this is correct. He certainly spends about 100 pages or so on special relativity and develops it quite thoroughly, but that's expected for a first course since it develops much of the machinery before it gets generalized. I would go with Schutz and couple that with Alan Lightman's problems and solutions book. Hobson is certainly good too.

1. What is the purpose of a book on tensors and general relativity for beginners?

A book on tensors and general relativity for beginners serves as an introductory guide to understanding the complex concepts of tensors and general relativity. It aims to provide a foundation for further studies in the field and explain the basics in an accessible manner.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge or background in mathematics to understand this book?

While a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra can be helpful, this book is designed for beginners and does not assume any prior knowledge in mathematics. The concepts are explained in a step-by-step manner with clear examples and illustrations.

3. How will this book help me understand the theory of general relativity?

This book covers the fundamentals of tensors, which are an essential tool in understanding the theory of general relativity. It explains how tensors are used to describe the curvature of space-time and how they are crucial in understanding the equations of general relativity.

4. Is this book suitable for self-study or do I need a teacher or tutor?

This book is designed to be self-contained and can be used for self-study. However, having a teacher or tutor can be helpful in clarifying any doubts and providing additional guidance.

5. Are there any real-world applications of tensors and general relativity?

Yes, tensors and general relativity have many practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and engineering. They are used to describe the behavior of gravity and the dynamics of objects in space, as well as in the development of technologies such as GPS systems.