Master Gradshteyn & Ryzhik's "Table of Integrals, Series & Products

• Thread starter sponsoredwalk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the book "Table of Integrals, Series & Products" by Gradshteyn & Ryshik and the difficulty of its content. The speaker's lecturer claims to have mastered the book before even attending university, but the speaker finds the book less intimidating upon closer inspection. They wonder if there are other books that may be more helpful in understanding the integrals in the book. Another person suggests having vodka on hand while working through the book, and explains that it is simply a reference book and not meant for deriving integrals. They also mention that many of the integrals included are copied from other sources. The conversation concludes by advising not to waste time on the book and to seek out other resources.
sponsoredwalk
I have a lecturer who has taunted me with the book "Table of Integrals, Series & Products"
by Gradshteyn & Ryshik with the fact that he could do everything in the book before he even
went to university. Not being a soviet teenager I was playing guitar & hated math but had I
that interest I'd have mastered this book by age 15 :rolleyes:
In any case, the book looked terrifying at first, absolutely terrifying, but I mean looking in it
it isn't that bad. Theoretically I should be able to manage the first 600 pages based off of
the contents of something like thomas calculus but I mean most of the integrals in this book
are pretty scary when you flip open to some random page in the early hundreds.
Just wondering if people have anything to say on this, whether there are other books I
should read with more of an inkling on how to manage the integrals in G&R :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure you have enough vodka on hand. I read a story that the authors mostly wrote the book in an isolated cabin in Siberia & determined how difficult a formula was by how many vodkas they drank by the time they finished derivating it.

Last edited:
It would be easier to climb Everest than to "work the first 600 pages" of this Epic Tome.

This is just a reference book - they don't derive integrals at all. It's just a collection of integrals precisely for the reason that you do not need to derive it yourself.

In fact, a lot of the integrals you find in there are just copy/pasted from other sources, such as the books on integrals by Arthur Erdélyi et al.

So please, don't waste your time on it.

I can assure you that mastering the "Table of Integrals, Series & Products" by Gradshteyn & Ryzhik is no easy feat. This book is a comprehensive and extensive resource for mathematical formulas and techniques, and it is not surprising that your lecturer was able to do everything in the book before going to university.

However, it is important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace and has different interests and strengths. While it may have been possible for your lecturer to master this book at a young age, it is not a reflection of your abilities or intelligence if you are not able to do the same.

In terms of other resources, there are certainly other books and materials available that can help with understanding and managing integrals. It may be helpful to consult with your lecturer or other experts in the field for recommendations. Additionally, practice and persistence are key in mastering any subject, so don't be discouraged if it takes time to fully grasp the content in this book.

Overall, it is important to approach learning with a positive attitude and to not compare yourself to others. With determination and hard work, you can certainly make progress in understanding and applying the integrals in this book.

1. What is "Master Gradshteyn & Ryzhik's Table of Integrals, Series & Products"?

"Master Gradshteyn & Ryzhik's Table of Integrals, Series & Products" is a comprehensive mathematical reference book that contains a vast collection of integrals, series, and products, along with their corresponding solutions and proofs. It is widely used by scientists and mathematicians for solving complex mathematical problems.

2. Who are Gradshteyn and Ryzhik?

Abram Gradshteyn and Iosif Ryzhik were two Russian mathematicians who collaborated to create the first edition of the "Table of Integrals, Series & Products" in 1943. They both have made significant contributions to the fields of mathematics and physics and have published several papers in various scientific journals.

3. What makes "Master Gradshteyn & Ryzhik's Table of Integrals, Series & Products" different from other mathematical reference books?

Unlike other mathematical reference books, "Master Gradshteyn & Ryzhik's Table of Integrals, Series & Products" is known for its extensive collection of integrals, series, and products that are not easily found in other sources. It also includes detailed proofs and explanations for each entry, making it a valuable resource for mathematical research and problem-solving.

4. Is "Master Gradshteyn & Ryzhik's Table of Integrals, Series & Products" suitable for all levels of mathematical knowledge?

Yes, "Master Gradshteyn & Ryzhik's Table of Integrals, Series & Products" is suitable for all levels of mathematical knowledge. It has a user-friendly format with a table of contents and index, making it easy to navigate and find the required information. It also includes explanations and examples for beginners and more advanced material for experienced mathematicians.

5. Is there an online version of "Master Gradshteyn & Ryzhik's Table of Integrals, Series & Products" available?

Yes, there is an online version of "Master Gradshteyn & Ryzhik's Table of Integrals, Series & Products" available on various websites. However, the print version is still widely used by mathematicians and scientists due to its comprehensive and reliable content. It is recommended to use both versions for a more thorough understanding of the material.