E&M textbook for a physical chemist

In summary, a graduate student in physical chemistry is seeking recommendations for a book to help build their knowledge of magnetic and electric fields for designing experiments. A suggestion is to start with Griffiths' "Introduction to Electrodynamics" for a general understanding, and also consider Jackson's "Classical Electrodynamics" for more advanced material. There may not be a specialized text specifically for E&M in chemistry.
oddcobb
Hi all,

I am a graduate student in physical chemistry and I have discovered a fairly large hole in my knowledge. I am designing some experiments that will study the behavior of ions in magnetic fields. I don't have much background in E&M fields past a general physics course. Do you have any recommendations for a good book to help me build a foundation of knowledge in magnetic/electric fields.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you just want generic, general E&M, griffiths Introduction to Electrodynamics is a good place to start - it is upper division level. Grab a copy of Jackson too, in my opinion. Jackson is graduate level, but more advanced than most intro graduate texts.

I do not know of any specialized text covering E&M for chemistry - there probably is not a need for one frankly.

1. What is the difference between "E&M" and "physical chemistry"?

Electromagnetism (E&M) is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields, while physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter. Therefore, an "E&M textbook for a physical chemist" would cover both the principles of E&M and how they apply to chemical systems.

2. Is this textbook suitable for someone with no background in E&M?

This textbook is designed for physical chemists, so it assumes some prior knowledge of basic E&M principles. However, it may still be suitable for someone without a strong background in E&M, as long as they have a good understanding of fundamental physics concepts.

3. What topics are covered in this textbook?

This textbook covers topics such as electric and magnetic fields, electromagnetic waves, Maxwell's equations, and their applications in chemical systems. It also includes discussions on electrochemistry and spectroscopy.

4. Are there any specific mathematical or computational skills required for this textbook?

This textbook does require some mathematical skills, including calculus and basic linear algebra. Some knowledge of computer programming and numerical methods may also be helpful for certain sections. However, the focus of this textbook is on the conceptual understanding of E&M principles rather than extensive mathematical derivations.

5. Is this textbook suitable for self-study or is it better used in a classroom setting?

This textbook can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to supplement it with other resources and practice problems. It may be more beneficial to use this textbook in a classroom setting, where a teacher or professor can provide additional guidance and support. However, it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and level of understanding of E&M concepts.