Twin Prime Sieve - A Unique and Efficient Method for Generating Twin Primes

In summary, the proof of the sieve modulo 8169 is based on a theorem of Euclid and does not require handling each number only once. The new proof is based on Euler's Sieve and provides more information for a subsequent proof.
Rudy Toody
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=50&threadid=2331345&enterthread=y"

I discovered this sieve a couple of weeks ago and could not find anything similar in the liturature. I made a very ugly proof and sent it off to JAMS, where it was rejected immediately.

Since then, we have been discussing this sieve.

One poster suggested that I come over here to get more insights.

If one of you could check out that thread and post here about the viability of the sieve, it would be of great help.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Finding the first 8169 twin primes (those below a million) isn't hard. Mathematicians have searched 1,000,000,000,000 times further: see for example Tables of values of pi(x) and of pi2(x).

Critiques on http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Rudy_Toody/SimpleTwinPrimeSieve.jpg :
Your justification for (a) is wrong. The step is correct, but this is a celebrated theorem of Euclid, not a definition.
(b) is also not true by definition.
I don't see any justification for (h) or (g).

I can't read Modification 6 in the jpg, so I can't say too much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
CRGreathouse;2336749The sieve you modified is from Eratosthenes (2300 years ago) said:
Eratosthenes requires that you cycle through the sieve until the next uncrossed number is found. That is the prime.

Euler's Sieve requires handling each number only once. It is based on Eratosthenes.

My sieve is based on Euler's Sieve in that it handle numbers only twice, because I am sieving twin primes and using the non-twins to finish the sieving.

I could not understand b either. Under 2, you say Select the prime,(the lowest number >1 from N). But, the lowest number need not be prime. I assume you thought of these sets as changing from operation to operation, but that is not clear.

Remove (N intersection P) from N, finally...repeat step 2. Well, now we have a different N, like say, N'.
Furthermore, the writing in Modificaton 6, under 4, is so faint, I don't know what it says.

Usually these kind of things involve a lot of ambiguity in their "proofs."

Last edited:
If you ignore the bad proof and read further down the thread you will find the explanation of what I meant to say.

I have a newer sieve that provides more information to be used for a proof. I have only shown the Mathematica program that does the sieving. It is fairly simple, too, It has been changed in one small regard since it was posted. However, the change has not changed the logic of the program. It has only changed how the program relates to the upcoming proof.

This was my first attempt at a proof, and I am self taught, and so it was ugly and incorrect. The next one will be much better.

When you say "dual twin primes" I assume you mean prime quadruplets (p, p+2, p+6, p+8). In that case your list to 100,000 is correct, apart from missing (in your format) "{{5,7},{11,13}}" which I imagine is intentional.

These have been counted up to 1016; see Enumeration of the prime quadruplets to 1e16.

I didn't see the newer version of the proof you mentioned in the other thread, just new Mathematica code. I'm not too good with Mathematica -- Pari/GP is better at number theory, so that's what I use -- so I'll admit your code didn't look easy to figure out.

What is a simple twin prime generator?

A simple twin prime generator is a mathematical tool used to find pairs of prime numbers that differ by a value of 2. These pairs are known as twin primes.

How does a simple twin prime generator work?

A simple twin prime generator works by testing numbers to see if they are prime and then checking if the number that is 2 greater is also prime. If both numbers are prime, they are considered a twin prime pair. The generator will continue testing numbers until a desired number of twin prime pairs are found.

What is the significance of twin primes?

Twin primes are significant in mathematics because they are closely related to the distribution of prime numbers. They also have applications in cryptography and number theory.

What are some limitations of a simple twin prime generator?

One limitation of a simple twin prime generator is that it can only find a finite number of twin prime pairs. Additionally, as the numbers get larger, it becomes more difficult and time-consuming to find twin prime pairs.

How is a simple twin prime generator different from other prime number generators?

A simple twin prime generator specifically focuses on finding twin prime pairs, while other prime number generators may have different goals such as finding a large number of prime numbers or finding prime numbers within a specific range. Additionally, the algorithms used in different prime number generators may vary.