Working in IB: What Should I Focus On?

• Thread starter bleedblue1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ib Work
In summary, the conversation discussed the individual's goal of working in investment banking and their question on which route to take in terms of their undergraduate studies. They also mentioned their interest in eventually moving into trading and concerns about being stuck at a desk programming. The response suggested considering a CS degree for CS-related roles, or taking courses in econ and finance for sales roles. It also clarified that Wall Street has a mix of both quantitative and non-quantitative trading, and that trading involves a lot of computer work.
bleedblue1234
So I want to work in IB in a few years (currently APPLYING to undergrad schools this year). I was wondering if I should focus on econ, math, finance, physics, or what? It seems to me that WS is strictly moving towards quantitative trading approaches and although IB doesn't deal with that side of things I hope one day to move to trading so I was wondering if anyone had advice as to what route I should go?

I really don't want to be stuck at a desk programming the rest of my life to shave a few pennies of the top end of a stock. Dang that sounds boring.

Physics news on Phys.org
bleedblue1234 said:
So I want to work in IB in a few years (currently APPLYING to undergrad schools this year). I was wondering if I should focus on econ, math, finance, physics, or what?

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to go into the CS parts of investment banking, then go out for a CS degree. If you want to go into sales, then take econ and finance courses. If your primary goal is to work in an investment bank, you may be in the wrong group. The situation is that IB's have a lot of jobs which just fit people that happen to like to do physics. Now, if you *don't* particularly like to do physics, there are other ways of getting into investment banking.

It seems to me that WS is strictly moving towards quantitative trading approaches and although IB doesn't deal with that side of things I hope one day to move to trading so I was wondering if anyone had advice as to what route I should go?

It's actually not. There is a a lot quantitative trading on Wall Street. There is a lot of non-quantitative trading. There's probably a lot more non-quantitative trading than quantitative trading, but people that are interested in non-quantitative trading are just not reading this group.

I really don't want to be stuck at a desk programming the rest of my life to shave a few pennies of the top end of a stock. Dang that sounds boring.

If you are dealing with $50 million in stock, it can get exciting. Also I'm a bit confused here. You said you wanted to do trading, but what pretty much all traders do nowadays is to spend their lives staring at computer screens trying to shave some pennies off stock.

1. What is the typical day like for someone working in IB?

The daily routine for someone working in IB can vary greatly depending on their specific role and responsibilities. However, a typical day may involve conducting financial analysis, meeting with clients, researching market trends, and working on deals or transactions.

2. What skills are necessary to succeed in IB?

Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, strong communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work well under pressure are all essential for success in IB. Additionally, a solid understanding of finance and economics is crucial.

3. How important is networking in the IB industry?

Networking is extremely important in the IB industry. Building relationships with colleagues, clients, and industry professionals can lead to valuable connections and opportunities. It is also a great way to stay updated on industry developments and trends.

4. What are some common challenges faced by those working in IB?

Some common challenges in IB include long and unpredictable work hours, high pressure and stress, and the need to constantly adapt to changing market conditions and client needs. Additionally, there is a lot of competition in the industry, so staying ahead and standing out can be a challenge.

5. How can one prepare for a career in IB?

One can prepare for a career in IB by obtaining a strong education in finance, economics, or a related field. It is also important to gain relevant experience through internships or entry-level positions. Networking and staying informed about the industry are also crucial for success in IB.