Can Photons Experience a Traffic Jam in a Bose-Einstein Condensate?

• Thread starter lawtonfogle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, when light is sent through a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC), it slows down and the particles become closer together, creating a "traffic jam" effect. This can be compared to cars on an interstate, where a slow car can cause a traffic jam and the cars become closer together. In the case of the BEC, photons are absorbed and spend most of their time being carried around by excited atoms. This process does not actually slow down the photons themselves, as they always travel at 'c'. This phenomenon is similar to the behavior of excited electrons.
lawtonfogle
By sending light through bose-eistein condensate ( hope I spelled it right, and I am going to use BEC instead from now own) the light slows down. Do the particles have a traffic jam at the BEC or do they move closer to gether.

normal light BEC slow light close together
| | | | | | | |||||||||||||
like this or like this
| | | | | | | ||||| | | | | | |
normal light BEC slow light with traffic jam

I base this off of cars on the interstate. If one was to slow down there would be a trafic jam and the cars would all be close together. Also, if the car stays slow for to long, the trafficjam backs up farther. If given long enough, it will back up to where the interstate begins.(This is based on a one lane interstate.

Instead of cars, use photons. Will this happen or is there some fact I am missing?? :confused: ??

Science news on Phys.org
And if I am in the wrong thread, I am sorry. Please then tell me what thread to post in

You can more or less think of the photons themselves always traveling at 'c'. (A purist might argue that photons don't actually have a position or follow a path). So what happens is that the photons don't slow down - they get absorbed. The fact that 'c' is low means that almost all photons get absorbed, and stay that way for a long time, and spend only a very small amount of time actually moving. Most of the time they are just being "carried around" by some excited atom in the BEC.

pervect said:
You can more or less think of the photons themselves always traveling at 'c'. (A purist might argue that photons don't actually have a position or follow a path). So what happens is that the photons don't slow down - they get absorbed. The fact that 'c' is low means that almost all photons get absorbed, and stay that way for a long time, and spend only a very small amount of time actually moving. Most of the time they are just being "carried around" by some excited atom in the BEC.

excited electrons, to be exact.

Regards,

Nenad

What is slowing down light?

Slowing down light refers to the process of reducing the speed at which light travels through a medium. This can be achieved by passing light through a material with a higher refractive index, which causes the light to bend and travel slower.

Why would we want to slow down light?

Slowing down light has many practical applications, such as improving the resolution of microscopes, creating optical switches for telecommunication networks, and studying the behavior of light in different materials.

Can light be slowed down to a complete stop?

No, according to the laws of physics, light cannot be slowed down to a complete stop. However, it can be significantly slowed down, such as in experiments where light has been slowed down to only 17 meters per second.

How does slowing down light affect its properties?

Slowing down light can change its wavelength, frequency, and direction of propagation. It can also increase its interaction with matter, making it easier to manipulate or control.

What are some methods for slowing down light?

There are several methods for slowing down light, including passing it through a medium with a higher refractive index, using electromagnetically induced transparency, and manipulating the quantum state of light particles. Other techniques involve using complex materials or structures to slow down light.