Science experiment- light and magnetic fields

In summary, a 9th grade student is looking for interesting topics for their science experiment and is particularly interested in how magnetic fields affect photons. They are considering creating an electromagnetic field strong enough to break down photons into electrons and positrons, but this may not be feasible at home. Suggestions are made to use magnets and a laser pointer to verify that magnetic fields do not bend light, or to use a material exhibiting the Faraday effect to explore the relationship between magnetic fields and light polarization. The Kerr effect, which is related to the Faraday effect, is also mentioned as a potential experiment topic.
Mackanator
Hello, I'm in 9th grade looking for some interesting topics to do my science experiment on this year. I'm particularly interested in how magnetic fields affect photons. I know photons are electrically neutral but I'm looking for some "what if?" types of questions. I think somehow being able to bend light using electromagnetic fields would be amazing.

I would be thrilled if you could have a discussion regarding light and magnetic fields in this thread.
Such as creating an EM field strong enough to break a photon down to an electron and positron, which would then allow it to have a charge, further allowing it to be bent.

Thanks,

-Mack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The strength of a magnetic field required to cause any significant effects in photons is far beyond what you can create at home to my knowledge. But if I might suggest something, could you not do an experiment using magnets and a laser pointer and "verify" that magnetic fields do not bend light within the extent that you can measure them? (And then explain why using valid math or something) I've actually never been in a science fair, so I don't know the "requirements" for an experiment.

You would also need 1 MeV gamma rays to create electron positron pairs. Those are not easy to come by.

Thanks for replies. I am not going to limit my experiment to just shooting a laser at a magnet and tell what happens. I would like to test and explain what happens to electromagnet radiation while in the presence of a magnetic field. I have access to a university lab if need be, I want to do something I can't at home.

Here's a quote from a Q&A on the University of Illinois Department of Physics page:

Actually, fixed magnetic fields have no effect on light propagating through a vacuum and (even for rather large field strengths) negligible effect on light propagating through most materials. Quark-antiquark pairs form another category of particle (meson) altogether, not light. Light is not composed of charged particles.

The interesting cases where magnetic fields do affect light propagation are in materials exhibiting the Faraday effect. In these materials, a magnetic field can change the way the charged particles (mainly electrons) respond to the light electromagnetic field. As a result, the polarization of the light (the plane in which the electric field points) rotates as the light propagates through the material. The direction of rotation depends on which way the field points.

Here's the link: http://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=409

Perhaps you could do something using a material exhibiting the Faraday effect?

Drakkith said:
Here's a quote from a Q&A on the University of Illinois Department of Physics page:

Here's the link: http://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=409

Perhaps you could do something using a material exhibiting the Faraday effect?

Ah, thanks for that! I actually was reading about the Faraday effect early today. I'm not quite sure if I entirely understood it but I would like to include that in my experiment.

I also was reading about the Kerr effect. Is that in anyways related to Faraday effect?

Not sure. It looks like the Kerr effect causes the refractive index to change in a material, while the Faraday effect causes polarization of light through a material. I don't know if the two are caused by the reasons, but I'd say they are related.

Edit: FYI the Kerr effect is caused by an electric field, while the Faraday effect is caused by a magnetic field.

1. How does light interact with magnetic fields?

Light and magnetic fields do not directly interact with each other. However, certain materials called optically active materials can change the polarization of light passing through them when placed in a magnetic field.

2. Can magnetic fields affect the speed of light?

No, the speed of light is a constant and is not affected by magnetic fields. However, the refractive index of a material can be altered by a magnetic field, which can indirectly affect the speed of light passing through it.

3. What is the relationship between light and magnetic fields in electromagnetic waves?

Light and magnetic fields are both components of electromagnetic waves. As light travels through space, it creates an electric field perpendicular to the direction of propagation, which in turn creates a magnetic field perpendicular to both the electric field and the direction of propagation.

4. How can magnetic fields be used to manipulate light?

Magnetic fields can be used to control the polarization and direction of light. This is commonly seen in devices such as polarizers and magneto-optic modulators, which use magnetic fields to alter the properties of light passing through them.

5. Can light and magnetic fields be used together in practical applications?

Yes, light and magnetic fields are commonly used together in various technologies such as MRI machines, optical data storage, and magnetic levitation. They also play a crucial role in understanding and studying the behavior of matter at the atomic level.