How can I optimize my electro magnet?

In summary: B is Magnetic Force in Gauss.µ0(permeability in vacuum) = 4*10^-17B_gap(x) =\frac{µ0*I*N}{\frac{l_j}{µj}+2x}l_j: the length of horseshoe = 2 cmµj: permeability of Steel37.. Can't find it using google.. :(x: airgap distance between each legs and the materiel it should attract. = 0,002mTo calculate the force required to pull an object with a certain weight, you use
Hey guys..

I trying to build an magnet which can pull an object with 5N..

I am using S37 as my the iron for my horseshoe magnet,

And been using this formula to convert Newtonian Force to magnetic force

[itex]\vec{F}=\frac{B}{µ0}*A[/itex]

A= cross sectional area = 0,002*1/100 M^2
B = Magnetic Force
µ0(permeability in vacuum) = 4[itex]\pi[/itex]*10^-17

B_gap(x) =[itex]\frac{µ0*I*N}{\frac{l_j}{µj}+2x}[/itex]
l_j: the length of horseshoe = 2 CM
µj: permeability of Steel37.. Can't find it using google.. :(
x: airgap distance between each legs and the materiel it should attract. = 0,002m

I am using 1 A, I tested my calctulation with 3N, which using my calculation says that i need 600 windings, but i seem to extreme..

The reason why i think this is not true is because 600 winding => 2 (0.002 + 0.01)*600 M copper wire=> R=0,079 ohm => V =0,079V..Is it too extreme?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
215 said:
Is it too extreme?

Not sure what you mean by "too extreme"... are you thinking that the voltage required seems awfully low? I haven't checked your calculations, but it doesn't take much voltage at all to drive one amp through a length of copper wire. You will probably have to consider the inductance of the coil as well as the resistance of the wire to completely understand how your setup will work.

You could do worse than actually wiring up an electromagnet with some number of turns, see how close your calculations are. But if you do... Don't use a voltage high enough to hurt yourself or anything near you, and think about your current-limiting devices. You're basically trying to build a controlled short circuit here... Resistors and fuses are your friends.

My caluculation is kinda simple..

Assume that the magnetic force from the iron core is the same as the one in the gap.

I know that I need the magnet to pull 5N

Which means that
F=[itex]\frac{b}{µ0}*A[/itex]

Where A =0,002*1/100
<=>
5 =[itex]\frac{b}{µ0}*A[/itex]
<=>
B =3.14159*10^-11

Then i solve N using the other equation and then i get 1001 winding.

A = 0.002 * 1/100 is a rather curious expression. What units does it have? How did you calculate it?
(your comma is my decimal point)

Yeah... the metal plate i bended needed to be 2mm thick, and the lengt of it is 1cm..
A is Cross-sectional area in M^2

Last edited:

What is an electro magnet?

An electro magnet is a type of magnet that uses electricity to create a magnetic field. This field is generated by passing an electric current through a coil of wire, which creates a magnetic field around the wire.

What materials are needed to build an electro magnet?

The main materials needed to build an electro magnet are a source of electricity (such as a battery or power supply), a coil of wire, and a ferromagnetic core (such as iron or steel). Other materials, such as a switch, resistor, and wire connectors, may also be needed depending on the specific design.

How does an electro magnet work?

An electro magnet works by using the principle of electromagnetism, which states that an electric current can create a magnetic field. When electricity flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire, and the ferromagnetic core amplifies this field. The strength of the magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the wire.

What are some practical uses for electro magnets?

Electro magnets have a wide range of practical uses, including in motors, generators, speakers, and medical equipment such as MRI machines. They are also used in industrial applications, such as lifting and separating metal objects, and in research experiments to study magnetic fields.

What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when building an electro magnet?

When building an electro magnet, it is important to handle electricity and electrical equipment with caution. Make sure to use appropriate safety gear, such as gloves and eye protection, and follow proper procedures for handling and connecting wires. It is also important to be aware of potential hazards, such as electric shocks and overheating, and take necessary precautions to prevent accidents.