Parabolic Coordinates & Cartesian Coordinates - 1-1 Mapping

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of parabolic coordinates in 2D and their relationship to cartesian coordinates. It is mentioned that there is a 1-1 mapping between the two coordinate systems, but there is confusion about whether a third coordinate is necessary. The difference between Mathworld's definition, which uses 3 coordinates, and Wikipedia's definition, which uses only 2 coordinates and a complex form, is discussed. The conversation also mentions a visual representation of the mapping and provides a link to an equation that shows a link between the two coordinate systems.
mnb96
Hi,
I have a doubt about parabolic coordinates in 2D.
if u,v are the parabolic coordinates in a plane, and we keep v=v0 constant, we have a parabola. Analogously keeping u=u0 we have another parabola which intersect the previous one in two points.

My question is, how there can be a 1-1 mapping between parabolic and cartesian coordinates without introducing a third coordinate?

What confused me is that Mathworld defines parabolic coordinates using 3 coordinates, while in wikipedia you can find a definition which uses only two coordinates and an elegant form using complex numbers: [tex]f(z)=z^{2}[/tex]. What's the difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
mnb96 said:
My question is, how there can be a 1-1 mapping between parabolic and cartesian coordinates without introducing a third coordinate?
As far as I understand, there is a 1-1 mapping between two-dimensional parabolic coordinates (in the Wikipedia notation: tau, sigma) and two-dimensional cartesian coordinates (x, y). Also, there is one between three-dimensional parabolic (tau, sigma, phi) and Cartesian (x, y, z) coordinates.

What confused me is that Mathworld defines parabolic coordinates using 3 coordinates, while in wikipedia you can find a definition which uses only two coordinates and an elegant form using complex numbers: [tex]f(z)=z^{2}[/tex]. What's the difference?
Wikipedia uses two for the two-dimensional case. Mathworld and Wikipedia agree on the three-dimensional case, only they have renamed [tex]u = \tau, v = \sigma, \phi = \theta[/tex]. I couldn't find the complex form right away, but remember that complex numbers "are" two-dimensional (there is a 1-1 mapping between complex numbers a + bi and cartesian coordinates (a, b) on the plane).

Last edited:
I find the complex form here (and also in another book):

http://eom.springer.de/P/p071170.htm

I still have troubles in visualizing how the 1-1 mapping between parabolic and cartesian coordinates works in the 2D case :/

ok...let's put my question in this way:

if I am in parabolic coordinates and I want to sketch on paper the intersection between the curves [tex]u=u_0[/tex] and [tex]v=v_0[/tex], I will have to mark two "points", right?

Instead, if we are in cartesian coordinates the intersection between [tex]x=x_0[/tex] and [tex]y=y_0[/tex] always yields one point.

does this make any sense?

I know this post is old but I think my equation shows a link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13155084/Pythagorean%20lattice.pdf

and

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13155084/PL3D2/P_Lattice_3D_2.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are Parabolic Coordinates and Cartesian Coordinates?

Parabolic coordinates and Cartesian coordinates are two different coordinate systems used in mathematics to represent points in a 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional space. Parabolic coordinates are based on a parabola and are typically used to describe equations that involve parabolic functions, while Cartesian coordinates are based on a grid system and are commonly used to describe linear equations.

2. How are Parabolic Coordinates and Cartesian Coordinates related?

Parabolic coordinates and Cartesian coordinates are related through a 1-1 mapping, meaning that each point in one coordinate system can be uniquely identified and mapped to a point in the other coordinate system. This allows for easy conversion between the two systems and enables scientists to use whichever system is most convenient for their calculations.

3. What are the advantages of using Parabolic Coordinates?

One advantage of using Parabolic Coordinates is that they are especially useful for solving problems involving parabolic equations. They also simplify the representation of certain geometrical shapes, such as cylinders, cones, and paraboloids. Additionally, they are useful for describing motion in a gravitational field and for solving problems in electrostatics.

4. In what fields are Parabolic Coordinates commonly used?

Parabolic Coordinates are commonly used in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are especially useful in the study of fluid mechanics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism. They are also used in computer graphics and image processing, as well as in robotics and control systems.

5. How do I convert between Parabolic Coordinates and Cartesian Coordinates?

To convert between Parabolic Coordinates and Cartesian Coordinates, you can use the following equations:
x = ρ cos(θ)
y = ρ sin(θ)
z = ρ2 / 2
where ρ is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle measured from the positive x-axis. Conversely, to convert from Cartesian Coordinates to Parabolic Coordinates, you can use the following equations:
ρ = √(x2 + y2)
θ = tan-1(y/x)
z = z