Is Speed the Same as Velocity in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between speed and velocity, with the question of whether a baseball being thrown towards home plate is a speed or a velocity. It is argued that it is neither, but rather a direction. The concept of scalar and vector quantities is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with the suggestion that the question was poorly-phrased and does not provide a clear physical quantity to identify.
fatgreypony
I understand the basics of speed and velocity, but I got a rather backhanded question on a recent test that I believe was marked incorrectly.

Q: A baseball is thrown toward home plate. Is this a speed or a velocity?

I said it was a speed, the ball could have been thrown from anywhere toward home plate. When I asked why it was a velocity, the response was that although the direction is unknown, it still has a direction. But then by that logic, all speeds would be velocities because they have to be traveling in a direction, even if it is not given. Did my teacher screw me over? Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Without being too picky, speed is a size. Velocity is that size combined with a direction.

Look for the meanings of the words, "scalar", and "vector".

I would say it is neither. It is a direction. Speed is a magnitude, and velocity is a magnitude and a direction.

Toward home plate is a valid direction. It means from the baseballs current location draw a line to home plate and the velocity is parallel to that line.

It's definitely a poorly-phrased question. "A baseball is thrown towards home plate. Is this a speed or a velocity?" Well, what does "this" refer to? Does it refer to the action of throwing a ball that was described in the previous sentence? If so, then "this" is neither a speed nor a velocity. It's a description of something that some person did. If you want to ask students to identify the type of a physical quantity, then you have to actually provide a physical quantity in your description. E.g. a ball is moving at 3.0 m/s towards home plate. Is this quantity mentioned above a speed or a velocity? Something like that would have been much better, in my opinion.

I would like to clarify the difference between speed and velocity in this context. Speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity includes both the speed and direction of the object's movement.

In the case of a baseball being thrown towards home plate, it is correct to say that it has a speed because it is indeed moving in a certain direction. However, it is not correct to say that it has velocity because the direction of the throw is not specified. Velocity requires both the speed and direction to be known.

Your reasoning is correct in that all objects in motion have a direction, but in order for it to be considered velocity, the direction must be specified. Therefore, it is not fair to say that all speeds are velocities.

It is possible that your teacher may have made a mistake in marking your answer, and I would suggest discussing it with them to clarify the concept. It is important for students to have a clear understanding of scientific concepts, and it is the responsibility of the teacher to provide accurate information and explanations.

Related to Is Speed the Same as Velocity in Physics?

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

What is the formula for calculating speed and velocity?

The formula for speed is distance divided by time, while the formula for velocity is displacement divided by time. Displacement is the shortest distance between the starting and ending points.

Can an object have a constant speed but changing velocity?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but changing velocity if it is changing direction. For example, a car moving in a circular track at a constant speed will have a changing velocity because it is constantly changing direction.

Which is more important in determining an object's motion, speed or velocity?

Both speed and velocity are important in determining an object's motion. Speed tells us how fast an object is moving, while velocity tells us how fast and in what direction an object is moving. In certain situations, one may be more important than the other.

How do speed and velocity affect each other?

Speed and velocity are closely related, but they are not the same. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity. This means that speed does not have a direction, while velocity does. A change in speed will affect the overall velocity of an object, but a change in direction will also affect the velocity even if the speed remains the same.