Calculating Powers of a Matrix: Math Problem for Grade 11

In summary: The matrix Mk raised to the nth power is just the product of two matrices, one with elements k+1 and one with elements k-1.
maximus_koncept7
hi guys, today i was confonted with this problem in grade 11 high school math.

consider the matrix M=(2 0)
(0 2)

calculate M^n for n = 2,3,4,5,10,20,50

and find a general expression for the matrix M^n in terms of n.

this problem has troubled me a lot, and no matter how hard i tried, i couldn't find a solution...could someone help me out here?
thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Find M^2, M^3, M^4 and M^5 by hand. What do you get? do you see a pattern?

yeah...the first and the last element are 2^the power given.

but how do i put this into a equation?
thanks again for all your help!

M^n = M*2^(n-1) is the equation for this particular matrix only. The equation differs for others.

Since you expressed M as
(2 0)
(0 2)
what's wrong with Mn as
(2n 0)
(0 2n) ?

I have the same question and am just wondering what your final general formula was... the (2^n 0)
(0 2^n) one only works when there are zeros on the diagonal and I have a question where the matrix is (3 1)
(1 3)
-I don't understand the outcome answers when it is squared :
(10 6)
(6 10) -is there a general formula to use? What are matrices like this called?

Ibnerd said:
I have the same question and am just wondering what your final general formula was... the (2^n 0)
(0 2^n) one only works when there are zeros on the diagonal and I have a question where the matrix is (3 1)
(1 3)
-I don't understand the outcome answers when it is squared :
(10 6)
(6 10) -is there a general formula to use? What are matrices like this called?

Any matrix with unique eigenvectors and eigen values can be diagonalized:

A=V D V^-1

Where D is a diagonal matrix of the eign values
and
The ith column of V is the eign vector which corresponds to the eign value on the diagnal of the ith column of D.

A^2=V D V^-1 V D V^-1=V D (V^-1 V) D V^-1=
V D I D V^-1=V D D V^-1=V D^2 V^-1

In general

A^N=V D^N V^-1

Your above expression is simple enough that just by doing regular multiplication you might be able to see the pattern without applying the above theory.

The matrix [itex]M[/itex] can be written as [itex]M=2\,I_2[/itex], where [itex]I_2[/itex] is the unit [itex]2\times2[/itex] matrix. Thus [itex]M^2=2\,I_2\cdot 2\,I_2=2^2\, I_2^2=2^2\,I_2[/itex]. Try the same thing for [itex]M^3,\,M^4,\dots[/itex] If you want to prove that [itex]M^n=2^n\,I_2[/itex] use induction.

Just noticed that this thread is almost 4 months old! :smile:

Thanks for the help-is there a simpler way to prove that-I've never heard of the stuff you are referring to...this is for grade 11 math. Thanks again though!

Well, I didn't learn it until I was in college!

I got the exact same problem, and am pretty sure that there is some relatively 11th grade adequate way to approach this. Maybe something with step 3, where (k+1 k-1) this matrix applies to both the example (2 0) and (3 1)
_________________(k-1 k+1) __________________________________(0 2) ___(1 3)

I really can't find a general equation for the last one in terms of k and n...

Last edited:
Solution??

After some serious work on my last post i came up with this, feedback please!
This is matrix Mk raised to the nth power.

M[tex]^{N}_{K}[/tex] = [tex]\left([(k+1) +(k - 1)\sum^{n}_{x=1} k^{x}] [(k-1) +(k - 1)\sum^{n}_{x=1} k^{x}] \right)[/tex]
[tex]\left([(k - 1) +(k - 1)\sum^{n}_{x=1} k^{x}] [(k + 1) +(k - 1)\sum^{n}_{x=1} k^{x}] \right)[/tex]

(The thumbnail is a lot clearer)

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:

FAQ: Calculating Powers of a Matrix: Math Problem for Grade 11

1. What is a matrix and how is it used in mathematics?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics to represent and manipulate systems of linear equations, transformations, and data sets.

2. How do you calculate the power of a matrix?

The power of a matrix is calculated by multiplying the matrix by itself a certain number of times. For example, to calculate the third power of a matrix, you would multiply the matrix by itself three times. This can also be written as raising the matrix to the third power, or using the exponent notation of A^3.

3. What are the rules for calculating powers of a matrix?

There are several rules that apply when calculating powers of a matrix, including:

• The matrix must be square (the number of rows must equal the number of columns).
  • The power must be a positive integer (ex: 2, 3, 4, etc).
  • The powers of a matrix can be calculated in any order (ex: A^3 x A^2 = A^2 x A^3).
  • The identity matrix (a square matrix with 1s along the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else) raised to any power will result in the same identity matrix.

4. What is the purpose of calculating powers of a matrix?

Calculating powers of a matrix is useful in several applications, including solving systems of linear equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and representing transformations in geometry and physics.

5. Can the power of a matrix be a negative number?

No, the power of a matrix must be a positive integer. However, there is a concept called the inverse matrix, which is similar to calculating negative powers. The inverse matrix of a matrix A, denoted as A^-1, is the matrix that, when multiplied by A, results in the identity matrix. In this sense, A^-1 can be thought of as the negative first power of A.