Proving I^n+J^m=R for Coprime I,J in a Ring R

• Thread starter Galileo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, if I and J are coprime ideals of a ring R, so I+J=R, then for any positive numbers m and n we also have I^n+I^m=R.
Galileo
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I want to show that if I and J are coprime ideals of a ring R, so I+J=R, then for any positive numbers m and n we also have [itex]I^n+I^m=R[/itex].

I thought the easiest way to do it was to show that [itex]1 \in I^n+J^m[/itex] given that there exist [itex]i\in I[/itex] and [itex]j\in J[/itex] such that [itex]i+j=1[/itex]. But I haven't had much luck yet. Any hint would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to hope that R is commutative, for then consider (i+j) raised to some power to do with m and n but larger than both.

Yes, R is commutative. I forgot to mention that.
I already had tried expanding (i+j) to some power. For example m+n or mn:
[tex]1=(i+j)^{m+n}=(i+j)^m(i+j)^n=\sum_{k=0}^m {m \choose k}i^{m-k}j^k\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k}i^{n-k}j^k=\sum_{k=0}^{m+n}i^{m+n-k}j^k[/tex]

[tex]1=(i+j)^{mn}=\sum_{k=0}^{mn}{mn \choose k}i^{mn-k}j^k=\left(\sum_{k=0}^m {m \choose k}i^{m-k}j^k\right)^n[/tex]
I can't see where that leads me. I understand that if I can write 1 as [itex]i^n x+j^m y[/itex] whatever x and y are, then I`m done.

I think I've got it.

[tex]1=(i+j)^{m+n}=\sum_{k=0}^{m+n}{m+n \choose k}i^{m+n-k}j^k[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{m}{m+n \choose k}i^{m+n-k}j^k +\sum_{k=m+1}^{m+n}{m+n \choose k}i^{m+n-k}j^k=[/tex]
[tex]i^n\left(\sum_{k=0}^{m}{m+n \choose k}i^{m-k}j^k\right) +j^m\left(\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}{m+n \choose m+1+k}i^{n-1-k}j^{1+k}\right)[/tex]

What does it mean for I and J to be coprime in a ring R?

Coprime elements in a ring R are those that have no common factors other than 1. This means that their greatest common divisor is 1, and they are relatively prime to each other.

What is the significance of proving I^n+J^m=R for coprime I and J in a ring R?

Proving I^n+J^m=R for coprime I and J in a ring R is significant because it shows that the sum of powers of two coprime elements generates the entire ring. This result can be used in various proofs and is a fundamental concept in ring theory.

What are the conditions for I^n+J^m=R to hold for coprime I and J in a ring R?

In order for I^n+J^m=R to hold for coprime I and J in a ring R, the ring must be commutative and have a unity element. Additionally, the exponents n and m must be positive integers and the elements I and J must be coprime.

How is proving I^n+J^m=R for coprime I and J in a ring R related to the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem states that if I and J are coprime ideals in a ring R, then the quotient ring R/IJ is isomorphic to the direct product of the quotient rings R/I and R/J. This result is closely related to proving I^n+J^m=R for coprime I and J in a ring R, as it involves the sum of powers of coprime elements in a ring.

What are some applications of proving I^n+J^m=R for coprime I and J in a ring R?

There are various applications of proving I^n+J^m=R for coprime I and J in a ring R. One application is in number theory, where this result is used in the study of algebraic numbers and their properties. It is also used in algebraic geometry and topology, as well as in the construction of Galois extensions of fields.