Posting Anonymously: How to Hide Your Identity When Making a Post

• Thread starter Aero51
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of posting as an anonymous user and whether or not it is currently possible to do so. The conversation also mentions concerns about privacy and the potential benefits of anonymous postings.
Aero51
Question: Is it possible to post as an anonymous user? In other words, can a user make a post that allows them to hide their name? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aero51 said:
can a user make a post that allows them to hide their name? Thanks.

No :)

Well that was quick! Thanks for the info.

Aero51 said:
Question: Is it possible to post as an anonymous user? In other words, can a user make a post that allows them to hide their name? Thanks.

You mean you aren't already posting anonymously? Aero51 is your name? :confused:

No but it is my license plate :)

Aero51 said:
No but it is my license plate :)

PF now knows where you live, your full name, social security number, and deepest, darkest fears.

Maybe anonymous postings would be a good idea.

1. How can I post anonymously?

To post anonymously, you can use a pseudonym or username that does not reveal your real identity, or you can use a proxy server or virtual private network (VPN) to hide your IP address.

2. Is it safe to post anonymously?

Posting anonymously can offer some level of protection, but it is not completely foolproof. Your identity can still be traced through your writing style, posting patterns, or by tracking your IP address through other means.

3. Can I remain anonymous on all websites?

No, not all websites allow anonymous posting. Some may require you to create an account or verify your identity in some way before you can make a post. It is important to check the website's terms of use and privacy policy before posting anonymously.

4. Are there any risks to posting anonymously?

Posting anonymously can pose some risks, such as receiving backlash or negative comments from other users, or having your anonymity compromised. It is important to consider these risks before making a post and to be cautious about the information you share.

5. Can I be traced if I use a VPN or proxy server?

While using a VPN or proxy server can help hide your IP address, it is not a guarantee that you will remain completely anonymous. Some websites may have measures in place to detect and block VPN or proxy connections, and your identity can still be traced through other means.