Storing energy in a torsion spring

In summary, torsion springs, such as those found in clock movements, can hold their energy for a very long time if not released. This is demonstrated by a clock with a torsion spring that was bought in 1879 and still works when wound up. However, if the spring is over-wound, it can break.
alex1978
Hello!

This might be a seriously obvious question but...

if I were to wind up a torsion spring, such as the type found in a clock movement, and then not release it, how long could that energy stay stored? Presumably it depends on the material used but could it hold it's energy for years?!

Many thanks,
Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes; they will stay wound for a very long time ... as long as the clock isn't ticking.

I have an 8 day clock with a torsion spring - bought by my great grandfather in 1879. It worked well when I repaired it in 1965. I could stop/start the movement by moving a pawl on/off one of the gears; this was handy in making adjustments. When I would get back to work on it hours/days/weeks later the spring would not have lost any torsion.

However, it dead break when over-wound. It sat for many years until I gave it to my son the mechanical engineer; he repaired the spring (welded it? I forget) and it is still ticking away whenever he winds it up.

Brilliant - thank you. I thought that was probably the case. Good to hear a real world example!

1. How does a torsion spring store energy?

A torsion spring stores energy by twisting or coiling tightly around an axis, which creates potential energy. When the spring is released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, producing a torque or rotational force.

2. What are the advantages of using a torsion spring for energy storage?

Torsion springs have a high energy storage capacity and can withstand many cycles of twisting and releasing without losing their effectiveness. They also have a compact design, making them ideal for use in small spaces and devices.

3. How does the amount of energy stored in a torsion spring relate to its properties?

The amount of energy stored in a torsion spring is directly proportional to its stiffness or spring constant and the angle of twist. A stiffer spring and a larger angle of twist will result in a greater amount of stored energy.

4. Can the energy stored in a torsion spring be released in a controlled manner?

Yes, the energy stored in a torsion spring can be released in a controlled manner by adjusting the angle of twist or by using a mechanism to limit the amount of torsion. This makes torsion springs useful for various applications such as in clock mechanisms or as a power source for toys.

5. What are some common uses of torsion springs for energy storage?

Torsion springs are commonly used in various devices and machines that require a compact and efficient energy storage system. Some examples include watches, door handles, and garage door openers. They are also used in more complex systems such as in mechanical clocks and automotive engines.