System of piecewise differential equations - Where to start?

In summary, you are dealing with a rather complicated problem, without much knowledge in differential equations, and you would like to try to achieve better precision. If you start with w<wm, you are in the w<wm and H>0 region. This region ends when w>=wm (because H continues to rise). How do you know when this condition is fulfilled in order to switch to the other set of DEs?
urbanist
Hello all,

I am dealing with a rather complicated problem (as we all do), without much knowledge in differential equations.
I have coded a numerical solution, taking a straightforward approach: constructing the functions step by step, but I would like to try to achieve better precision.

Any hint about the type of problem I am facing, about relevant solution methods, etc., so that I can start exploring the literature, will be greatly appreciated!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17308924/problem.GIF

Thank you!

Urbanist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
I'd normally treat piecewise defined DEs as two coupled DEs, with extra boundary conditions at the place where the defined regeons join.

Looks like you have dw/dr = f(H,w) and dH/dr = g(H,w,z) too ... fun fun fun.

Thank you so much for your help!

I can treat them as coupled. The problem is knowing when to switch from one set of coupled DEs to the other.

If I start with w<wm, I'm in the w<wm and H>0 region. This region ends when w>=wm (because H continues to rise). How do I know when this condition is fulfilled in order to switch to the other set of DEs, which holds when w>wm and H>0? Looking at boundary value problems I see only cases when the boundary condition on y(x)=0 is on a given x, which in my case is unkown.

You'd have to solve each of the DEs uncoupled and then apply the boundary conditions. This will give you a lot of candidates - at a glance: you'll have 4 cases in which to solve simultanious DEs - hopefully the boundaries will appear once you've done the spadework ... bear in mind I'm not going to actually do the problem just to help you. Looks too much like hard work. Instead I will point in likely looking directions.

The big advantage here is that you know the problem is set for you as an example so you know it can be solved. I know we all want some sort of shortcut but none occur to me just looking at it. Sometimes (often IRL) the shortcut does not exist and you just have to push through.

Some simplifications are available. Write w(r) = exp(v(r)), H(r) = G(r)/t. Or maybe w(r) = exp(κv(r)), H(r) = κG(r)/t.

1. What is a piecewise differential equation?

A piecewise differential equation is a type of differential equation where the equation is broken into different pieces, with each piece having its own specific set of rules and conditions. This is commonly used to model systems that have distinct behaviors or dynamics in different regions or time intervals.

2. How do I identify a piecewise differential equation?

A piecewise differential equation can be identified by looking for key indicators such as the use of different functions or parameters in different parts of the equation, or the use of conditional statements to define different behaviors based on certain conditions. It is important to carefully examine the equation to determine if it follows a piecewise structure.

3. What is the best approach to solving a system of piecewise differential equations?

The best approach to solving a system of piecewise differential equations is to first break the system into its individual pieces and solve each piece separately. Then, combine the solutions by ensuring that the solutions satisfy the conditions at the boundaries between the different pieces. This can be done using techniques such as continuity or the method of characteristics.

4. Are there any useful tips for effectively handling piecewise differential equations?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help with working on piecewise differential equations. First, it is important to carefully define the intervals and conditions for each piece of the equation. It is also helpful to use appropriate notation and clearly label the different pieces to avoid confusion. Additionally, it can be useful to check the solutions for consistency and accuracy by plugging them back into the original equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of piecewise differential equations?

Piecewise differential equations have many real-world applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model systems with varying conditions or behaviors, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electric circuits with switches. They are also commonly used in modeling physical systems with distinct phases or regimes, such as phase transitions in materials or fluid mechanics.