Crate on a frictionless ramp, constant speed.

In summary, to push a 130 kg crate up a frictionless 23° incline, a horizontal force of 458.687 N is required.
Koscher

Homework Statement

A 130 kg crate is pushed at constant speed up the frictionless 23° ramp shown in the figure. What horizontal force F is required?

Homework Equations

F=ma
F(parallel)=mgsin(theta)
F(perpendicular)=mgcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that because it is at a constant speed the net force equals zero, therefore the force caused by gravity equals the applied force. So first I solved the parallel force caused by gravity, which equals 498.2994 N. From there to create a net force of zero I flipped the sign, -498.2994 N. Solved for the horizontal component of that force: -498.2994cos23 =-458.687 N.

But obviously that was not right. I think I might have to include the normal force by gravity in that equation too though. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Koscher said:
I know that because it is at a constant speed the net force equals zero, therefore the force caused by gravity equals the applied force. So first I solved the parallel force caused by gravity, which equals 498.2994 N. From there to create a net force of zero I flipped the sign, -498.2994 N. Solved for the horizontal component of that force: -498.2994cos23 =-458.687 N.
Since the applied force is horizontal, you have found the component of F parallel to the incline. Now you need to find the full force F. Express that mathematically so you can solve for F.

I am afraid that I am a little lost at the moment. I need to express the full force of the equation?

If the applied force F is horizontal, what would be its component parallel to the incline?

Force applied(parallel) = Force applied(sin(theta))

So: 498.2994/sin(23) = 1275.3 N [force applied]

Koscher said:
Force applied(parallel) = Force applied(sin(theta))
Not exactly. Realize that the applied force is horizontal, not vertical (like gravity).

Okay so the applied force in the direction of parallel, would that be an equal but opposite force to the force parallel caused by the force of gravity?

Koscher said:
Okay so the applied force in the direction of parallel, would that be an equal but opposite force to the force parallel caused by the force of gravity?
Yes, if I understand what you mean. The net force in any direction must be zero. Thus the forces parallel to the ramp must be zero. Thus the parallel component of gravity and the parallel component of the applied force must be equal and opposite.

Okay.

If I take the horizontal component of the Normal force and the horizontal component of the applied force and add them together, will that give me a total horizontal force.

(498.299cos23)=458.6866 N
(1380sin23)=539.208 N

So, 997.8946 N?

Koscher said:
If I take the horizontal component of the Normal force and the horizontal component of the applied force and add them together, will that give me a total horizontal force.
Since the crate is in equilibrium, the net horizontal force will be zero. Some problems with this approach:
- The applied force is totally horizontal, so the horizontal component of the applied force is the applied force
- The normal force does not simply equal mgcosθ

You'll have a much easier time if you stick to the force components parallel to the ramp.

Okay.

So.

Fcos(theta)-mgsin(theta)=ma
Fcos(23)-(130kg)(9.81 m/s^2)sin(23)=0 (it equals zero because of the zero net force)

Solve for F.

F= 541.332 N

Sorry for being a pain, I have been fine with similar questions, just this one was confusing. You were a huge help, thank you. That would be the answer if I am not mistaken.

Good!

FAQ: Crate on a frictionless ramp, constant speed.

What is a crate on a frictionless ramp?

A crate on a frictionless ramp is a physics problem that involves a crate placed on a ramp with no friction. This means that there is no force opposing the movement of the crate, and it will continue to move at a constant speed without any external force acting on it.

How does a crate on a frictionless ramp behave?

A crate on a frictionless ramp will behave according to the laws of motion. It will continue to move at a constant speed in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. The angle of the ramp will determine the magnitude and direction of the force needed to keep the crate at a constant speed.

What factors affect the movement of a crate on a frictionless ramp?

The angle of the ramp, the mass of the crate, and the force applied to the crate are the main factors that affect the movement of a crate on a frictionless ramp. The angle of the ramp will determine the magnitude and direction of the force needed to keep the crate at a constant speed, while the mass of the crate will determine how much force is needed to move it. The force applied to the crate will determine its acceleration or deceleration.

What is the formula for calculating the force needed to keep a crate at a constant speed on a frictionless ramp?

The formula for calculating the force needed to keep a crate at a constant speed on a frictionless ramp is F = mgsinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the crate, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the ramp. This formula is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma).

Can a crate on a frictionless ramp ever come to a complete stop?

No, a crate on a frictionless ramp will continue to move at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. Since there is no friction to slow down the crate, it will not come to a complete stop on its own. However, if an external force is applied in the opposite direction of the crate's movement, it can come to a complete stop.