Gravity Accelerating Objects To The Speed Of Light

In summary, current theory is that the penny's time rate approaches zero as it approaches the event horizon, and we never see it cross the event horizon.
ScienceNerd36
If you were to drop a penny down an elevator shaft that was infinite in the downward direction, what would begin to happen when the penny is accelerated by gravity to the speed of light or at least very close?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
How can the elevator shaft have an infinite downward direction and still have substantial gravitational pull in that direction?

I'm guessing the spirit of your question is what keeps the velocity of a constantly accelerating object below the speed of light?

The simple answer that I usually hear is that it requires energy to accelerate an object and the faster you go the more energy is needed to continue to accelerate because your mass increases as you speed up. The special-relativity answer I don't understand but has something to do with it violating the geometry of space-time.

Last edited:
How about an object when it crosses the event horizon into a black hole before it impacts with the core?

What is, "escape velocity at the event horizon of a black hole", Alex...?

Which question are you answering?

Elevator shaft and "downward direction" aren't exactly metaphors that would make me think he was implying the sort of scenario that involves black holes.

Sorry, that was a Jepoardy reference. Jeff was proposing the only scenario where the question has any connection to reality - an object falling into a black hole approaches C as it approaches the event horizon.

ScienceNerd36 said:
If you were to drop a penny down an elevator shaft that was infinite in the downward direction, what would begin to happen when the penny is accelerated by gravity to the speed of light or at least very close?

To accelerate to infinite speed, the field must be so strong.. which happens only in case of black holes and you won't get your penny back

Wouldn't you want to take air resistance into account? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there was air, the object would stop accelerating after a while.

I'm sorry, but neither of those two posts are relevant/useful here: You can't accelerate something to infinite speed and air resistance isn't relevant if you accelerate something in space.

You can't accelerate something to infinite speed

Yes it can, if it crosses the event horizon.The escape velocity of a body becomes c at the mass-equivalent radius which implies infinite proper velocity

Last edited:
OK, let me rephrase the question.

(1) Imagine that space-time is warped as it would be in the presence of a black hole. And I'm speaking only of the geometry.
(2) Now let's imagine dropping a penny down this infinite bit of space-time curvature.
(3) As it falls and falls it accelerates until it is at a speed of 99.999999999% the speed of light. Will the penny then stop accelerating?

And if there are any mistakes in this form of the question please point them out, but don't start a conversation over what I might have meant.

Will the penny then stop accelerating?
Yes, once it is inside the singularity
(3) As it falls and falls it accelerates until it is at a speed of 99.999999999% the speed of light.
You could say c, because mass inside the singularity is said to have infinite density and energy

Current theory is...

Classically speaking, the penny's time rate approaches zero as it approaches the event horizon, and we never see it cross the event horizon. Quantum mechanically speaking, the particles of the penny tunnel across the event horizon to the singularity.

But then "current theory" might change in a few decades.

FAQ: Gravity Accelerating Objects To The Speed Of Light

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 186,282 miles per second. It is considered to be the fastest possible speed in the universe.

2. How does gravity accelerate objects?

Gravity is a force that attracts objects towards each other. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull. This pull causes objects to accelerate towards each other, increasing their speed as they get closer.

3. Can gravity accelerate objects to the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that anything in the universe can travel. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases, making it more difficult for it to accelerate further.

4. How does gravity affect the speed of light?

Gravity does not directly affect the speed of light. However, it can cause light to appear to bend or curve when it passes near a massive object, such as a planet or star. This is known as gravitational lensing.

5. Is it possible for anything to travel at the speed of light?

According to current scientific understanding, it is not possible for anything with mass to travel at the speed of light. However, particles without mass, such as photons of light, are able to travel at the speed of light.