How do I calculate straight line distance on a sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate a straight line distance on a sphere and whether or not it is equivalent to the great circle distance. It is determined that the great circles are the answer for finding the shortest distance between two points on a sphere. The conversation also mentions converting to Cartesian coordinates and using the distance formula to calculate the straight line distance.
G4CKT
Hi everyone,

I've tried googling how to calculate a straight line distance on a sphere. I got no answers for it though T_T.

I was able to find the great circle distance and parallel's already.

I'm given 2x points with lats/longs and ellipsoidal heights.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
the great circles (or "geodesics") are the answer; they are the shortest distance between two points on a sphere (and therefore they are the generalized concept of a 'straight line').

zhermes said:
the great circles (or "geodesics") are the answer; they are the shortest distance between two points on a sphere (and therefore they are the generalized concept of a 'straight line').

In my assignment I was asked to find. The 2x parallel distances (I did), great circle distance (I did, and this "Straight Line" distance. Would that straight line distance be equivalent to the great circle distance? In the handout I received he drew the great circle distance and beside it he drew a straight line distance xD

is the 'straight line' actually a straight line? (i.e. it is NOT on the surface of the sphere, but passing through it?)

zhermes said:
is the 'straight line' actually a straight line? (i.e. it is NOT on the surface of the sphere, but passing through it?)

Here is the image

[PLAIN]http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8727/spheren.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah gotcha, an actual straight line. Your best bet is probably to convert to Cartesian coordinates and just use the distance formula.

zhermes said:
Ah gotcha, an actual straight line. Your best bet is probably to convert to Cartesian coordinates and just use the distance formula.

Ah, okay so that's what it is I totally forgot about conversions.

Thanks for the help!

What is Spherical Trigonometry?

Spherical Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles on the surface of a sphere.

What are the applications of Spherical Trigonometry?

Spherical Trigonometry is used in fields such as astronomy, navigation, geodesy, and cartography to calculate distances, angles, and positions on the surface of the Earth or other celestial bodies.

What are the basic principles of Spherical Trigonometry?

The basic principles of Spherical Trigonometry are similar to those of planar trigonometry, but with some key differences due to the curved nature of the sphere. The three basic elements are the sides, angles, and vertices of a spherical triangle.

How is Spherical Trigonometry different from planar trigonometry?

In planar trigonometry, the sum of the angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees, but in Spherical Trigonometry, the sum can be greater than 180 degrees due to the curvature of the sphere. Also, the trigonometric functions and identities are modified to account for the curvature of the sphere.

What are the main challenges in using Spherical Trigonometry?

The main challenges in using Spherical Trigonometry are understanding the differences between planar and spherical geometry, and the complexity of the equations involved. It also requires knowledge of spherical coordinates and the relationships between different celestial bodies or locations on the Earth.