A little help understanding how you get from one step to the next

• Thread starter SMOF
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a digital signal processing problem where the goal is to show analytically that w(t) = r cos(100t+∅). The issue arises when trying to get from the line 2w(t) = ej100t + e-j100t + ej100t + pi/3 + e -j100t - pi/3 to the line 2w(t) = ej100t(ejpi/3+1) + e-j100t(e-jpi/3+1). The solution involves rewriting terms and using identities based on half angle formulae.
SMOF
Hello,

I hope I am posting this is in the right section. It is not a home work question, it is from a solution to a tutorial, and I just cannot see how the lecturer has gotten from one step to the next. If I don't get the solution here, I will ask him, but that will be later next week, and I would like to understand it now.

Anyway. It is a question relating to a digital signal processing class, and we were asked to show analytically that

w(t) = r cos(100t+∅).

In the question, we are told that x(t) = cos(100t) and y(t) = cos(100t + [itex]\pi[/itex]) where w(t) = x(t) + y(t).

The part I am having an issue with is from this line

2w(t) = ej100t + e-j100t + ej100t + pi/3 + e -j100t - pi/3

To this line

2w(t) = ej100t(ejpi/3+1) + e-j100t(e-jpi/3+1)

I am sure it is a pretty basic step, but I just cannot see it, and I have no issues with other harder sections, but this is just a mental block for me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can gove me.

Seán

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In your next to the last line you left out j multiplying pi/3 in both expressions. The exponent should be j(110t + pi/3), although I am puzzled where the /3 came from, since the original y doesn't have it.

Oh, that's me been silly, I was too worried about getting all the main equations right with the html tags and what have you ...it is y(x) = cos(100t +pi/3).

Sorry.

If by the second to last line you mean 2w(t) = ej100t + e-j100t + ej100t + pi/3 + e -j100t - pi/3 ...that's how it is in the solution.

Seán

SMOF said:
The part I am having an issue with is from this line

2w(t) = ej100t + e-j100t + ej100t + pi/3 + e -j100t - pi/3

To this line

2w(t) = ej100t(ejpi/3+1) + e-j100t(e-jpi/3+1)

On the first line, rewrite ej100t as ej100t*1, ej100t + pi/3 as ej100t*epi/3. Now collect the terms of ej100t, yielding ej100t + ej100t + pi/3 = ej100t(1+epi/3). Do the same for the other two terms and you get the second line.There is an easier way to address this if you remember your half angle formulae and some identities based on these. One such identity is

[tex]\cos a + \cos(a+b) = 2\cos\frac b 2 \cos(a+\frac b 2)[/tex]

It is a good one to keep this identity in your head, at least in structure. You don't need to know the identity by heart, but it is good to know the general nature of the identity as it does come up quite a bit.

That's great, thanks a lot!

Seán

SMOF said:
Oh, that's me been silly, I was too worried about getting all the main equations right with the html tags and what have you ...it is y(x) = cos(100t +pi/3).

Sorry.

If by the second to last line you mean 2w(t) = ej100t + e-j100t + ej100t + pi/3 + e -j100t - pi/3 ...that's how it is in the solution.

Seán
It looks to me that a parenthesis pair is missing from the exponent in each term. It is corrected in the last line.

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to investigate and understand the natural world. It involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on evidence.

2. How do you come up with a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon based on existing knowledge or observations. It is typically formulated by identifying a problem or question, making observations, and using deductive reasoning to propose a potential explanation.

3. What is the importance of experimentation in the scientific method?

Experimentation is a crucial step in the scientific method as it allows scientists to test their hypotheses and gather data to support or refute them. It also helps to control variables and ensure the reliability of the results.

4. How do scientists analyze data?

After conducting experiments, scientists use various statistical and analytical methods to organize and interpret the data they have collected. This helps them draw conclusions and make informed decisions based on the evidence.

5. Why is peer review important in the scientific process?

Peer review is a critical aspect of the scientific process as it allows for the evaluation and validation of scientific findings by other experts in the field. It helps to ensure the accuracy, credibility, and quality of research before it is published and shared with the scientific community and the public.