Solving Modulus Problem: (2-x)^2 = 15 or -15

• Thread starter frozen7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modulus
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve the equation ( l 2-x l ^2 ) - 2 l 2-x l = 15, with the correct answer being -3 and 7. The conversation includes suggestions to make a substitution and use the definition of the modulus function to simplify the problem. There is also a discussion about how to solve for two different domains of x, and a final question about whether the suggested equations are correct.
frozen7
( l 2-x l ^2 ) - 2 l 2-x l = 15

((2-x)^2) = 15 + 2 l 2-x l ------1
((2-x)^2) = -15 - 2 l 2-x l------2

Am I doing correctly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
frozen7 said:
( l 2-x l ^2 ) - 2 l 2-x l = 15

((2-x)^2) = 15 + 2 l 2-x l ------1
((2-x)^2) = -15 - 2 l 2-x l------2

Am I doing correctly?

How did you get 2?

I think that you intended to drop the absolute value signs.
Yes, |2-x|2l= (2-x)2. Either |2-x|= (2- x) (if 2-x>= 0) or |2-x|= -(2-x)

Change the absolute values to parentheses and you will correct.

The correct answer should be -3 and 7
From 1, I get the answer of -1,-3,5,7

Some more, how to do this question actually?

You also made the mistake of flipping the sign of the constant term : you accidentally made 15 into -15.

PS : It might make things easier to first make a substitution, 2-x = y

The way you solve this problem is by using the definition of the modulus function.

[tex]f(x) = |x| = x~,~~if~x \geq 0 [/tex]
[tex]f(x) = |x| = -x~,~~if~x < 0 [/tex]

Apply this definition to your problem and convert the equation to a pair of equations over two domains, one in which 2-x is negative and the other, where 2-x is non-negative.

The first equation is correct and it is wrong for the second one. So, what should be the second equation?
Thanks.

( ( 2-x ) ^2 ) - 2 l 2-x l = 15-----1
-( ( 2-x ) ^2 ) - 2 l 2-x l = 15----2

Do you mean this?

Divide the above moduli into two parts , one being x>2 and second being x<2 ,

Solve for both seperately and then check final value of x you get after solving under x>2 and x<2 , if it satisfies for both categories of x.

BJ

FAQ: Solving Modulus Problem: (2-x)^2 = 15 or -15

1. What is a modulus problem?

A modulus problem involves finding the value or values of a variable that satisfy a given equation. In this case, we are trying to find the possible values of x that make the equation (2-x)^2 = 15 or -15 true.

2. How do I solve a modulus problem?

To solve a modulus problem, we need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and simplify the other side. In this case, we can start by taking the square root of both sides to eliminate the square. We then have two equations to solve: 2-x = √15 and 2-x = -√15. Solving for x in each equation gives us two possible values for x.

3. Why are there two possible solutions for this modulus problem?

This is because the modulus function can be positive or negative, so there are two possible values of x that can satisfy the equation. In this case, the modulus function is (2-x)^2, so when we take the square root, we get both the positive and negative values of √15.

4. How do I know which solution is correct?

To determine which solution is correct, we can substitute each value of x into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. In this case, both solutions, x = 2+√15 and x = 2-√15, satisfy the equation (2-x)^2 = 15 or -15.

5. Can I use the same method to solve all modulus problems?

Yes, the general method for solving modulus problems involves isolating the variable and simplifying the other side of the equation. However, the specific steps may vary depending on the given equation.

Back