Polar coordinates: derivation from rotation group

In summary: McNeilIn summary, the conversation discusses constructing an orthogonal curvilinear coordinate system using linear transformations (rotations in the xy-plane). The goal is to use the parameter \theta as one coordinate and obtain equations for the cartesian-to-polar transformation. The conversation includes discussing the orbit and tangent vectors, as well as choosing a point of origin to create the coordinate system on the sphere S^1. The expected result is r = (x^2 + y^2)^{1/2} and \theta = atan2(y/x), but the process of arriving at these equations is still unclear.
mnb96
Hello,
I posted a similar question long time ago, but after working on it I am still unable to arrive at a solution.
Let's have a group of linear transformations (rotations in the xy-plane):

[tex]R_\theta=\{ (\begin{array}{ccc} cos\theta & -sin\theta \\ sin\theta & cos\theta \end{array}) \\ : \\ \theta \in [0,2\pi] \}[/tex]

The question is: How can I construct an orthogonal curvilinear coordinates system, in which the parameter [itex]\theta[/itex] works as one coordinate?
What I am supposed to get as a result are essentially the equations defining the cartesian-to-polar transformation.

----------------
My attempt:
Observe that given any vector x, the orbit [tex]R_{\theta}(\mathbf{x})[/tex] is a parametric curve which is obviously a circle.
The (gradient) vectors

[tex]e_\theta=\frac{\partial R_{\theta}(\mathbf{x})}{\partial \theta}[/tex] are tangent to the curve, so if we consider their orthogonal complement [tex]e_\theta^*[/tex] (which is easy to find), we have already found a family of local orthogonal bases.
How can I continue from this point?
I am supposed to get: [itex]r = (x^2 + y^2)^{1/2}[/itex] and [itex]\theta = atan2(y/x) [/itex], but I don't know how to arrive at that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you do not include any transformation in the radial direction, you can only use it to create a coordinate system on the sphere S^1, using your coordinate theta. This is done choosing a point of origin for you coordinate system, e.g. (x,y) = (1,0). From this, just apply a rotation with angle theta, and you get the correspondence between angles theta and the pairs of coordinates (x,y) along the 1-sphere S^1.

Torquil

Related to Polar coordinates: derivation from rotation group

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they derived from the rotation group?

Polar coordinates are a system for representing points in a plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference direction. They are derived from the rotation group, which is a mathematical group that describes the transformations of rotating an object around a fixed point.

2. Why are polar coordinates useful in scientific research?

Polar coordinates are useful in scientific research because they provide a way to describe and analyze circular, radial, and rotational motion. They are particularly helpful in studying electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and celestial mechanics.

3. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, θ), you can use the following formulas: r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x). Alternatively, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric identities to find the distance and angle.

4. Can polar coordinates be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, polar coordinates can be extended to higher dimensions. In three dimensions, they are called spherical coordinates, and in four dimensions, they are called hyperspherical coordinates. These coordinate systems are useful in studying higher-dimensional objects and systems.

5. What is the relationship between polar coordinates and complex numbers?

Polar coordinates and complex numbers are closely related. In fact, a complex number can be represented in polar form as r(cos θ + i sin θ), where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle from the positive real axis. This relationship is useful in solving complex mathematical problems involving trigonometric functions.