Miller indices of Ni based alloys

• Thread starter nukapprentice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Indices
In summary, the Miller indices of Inconel 600 and 690 alloys are applicable to each phase in a complex system, with Ni being the dominant element in these austenitic solid-solution alloys. The conventional numbers may not apply, as Cr generally forms Cr carbides in these alloys. Inconel 600 is 70% Ni, while Inconel 690 is 58% Ni, and they both contain small amounts of C, Si, and traces of Mn and Cu. They do not contain Mo, Nb, Al, or Ti. This information is useful for conducting x-ray diffraction studies on these alloys.
nukapprentice
I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on what the miller indices of Inconel 600 and 690 alloys are. I know they are FCC structure, but does that automatically give them the conventional numbers, or is it something else since it is a complex alloy?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nukapprentice said:
I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on what the miller indices of Inconel 600 and 690 alloys are. I know they are FCC structure, but does that automatically give them the conventional numbers, or is it something else since it is a complex alloy?
The Miller indices would apply to each phase in a rather complex system, but in these austenitic solid-solution alloys, it would be dominated by Ni. Cr generally forms Cr carbides.

http://www.specialmetals.com/products/inconelalloy600.php [Broken]
http://www.specialmetals.com/products/inconelalloy690.php [Broken]

Inconel 600 is nominally 70% Ni (with 14.0-17.0% Cr and 6.0-10.0% Fe), while Inconel 690 is nominally 58% Ni (with 27.0-31.0% Cr and 7.0-11.0% Fe). There are small amounts of C, Si and traces of Mn and Cu. They do not have Mo, Nb, Al or Ti, which are found in other Inconels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Astronuc! That's really great stuff. I guess the reason why I'm asking is because my friend is conducting x-ray diffraction studies on IN 600/690 for samples before and after being exposed to a supercritical water environment. I was hoping to get the miller indices in order to solve for the lattice parameter a.

1. What are Miller indices and how are they used to describe Ni based alloys?

Miller indices are a notation system used to describe the orientation of crystal planes in a crystal lattice. In Ni based alloys, they are used to describe the direction and spacing of atomic planes within the alloy's crystal structure. This can provide valuable information about the alloy's mechanical and physical properties.

2. How are Miller indices calculated for Ni based alloys?

To calculate Miller indices for Ni based alloys, the crystal lattice is visualized as a three-dimensional grid. The indices are determined by finding the intercepts of the atomic planes with the three axes of the grid and taking the reciprocals of these intercepts. The resulting numbers are then simplified to the smallest whole numbers, which represent the Miller indices for that particular plane.

3. What can be learned about Ni based alloys from their Miller indices?

Miller indices can provide information about the crystal structure and symmetry of Ni based alloys, as well as the spacing and arrangement of atomic planes within the lattice. This information can give insight into the alloy's strength, ductility, and other physical properties.

4. How do Miller indices affect the properties of Ni based alloys?

The Miller indices of Ni based alloys can affect their mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties. For example, a higher density of atomic planes with specific orientations can result in increased strength and ductility, while a more complex crystal structure may lead to better resistance to corrosion or high temperatures.

5. How can Miller indices be used to identify and classify Ni based alloys?

Miller indices can be used to identify and classify Ni based alloys by comparing their crystal structures and Miller indices with known alloys. This can help determine the composition and properties of an unknown alloy, as well as aid in the development of new alloys with desired properties.