Meaning of thermodynamical potentials (F,H,G,E)

• Thread starter sisife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potentials
In summary, the potentials (G,H,E,F, and Q) are "barometers" for spontaneity and can be used to calculate the required entropy increase during any spontaneous process in a closed system.
sisife
Hello!

I'm trying to grasp the "intuitive" meaning of the thermodynamical potetials E,F,H and G, or at least of their connections.

As in other threads before mentioned, I learned that you can't real.y give an meaningful definition of energy , so I assume for the other potentials this is also true.
As for what energy 'is', you could just as easily as "What is 'red'? The fact that a simple answer doesn;t exist does not make the concept any less useful.

But at least I have a kind of intuition what energy is, in contrary to the other quantities.

I tried to understand G by considering a quasistatic process. Then Q=TS and W=PV. So G=E-TS-PV is the energychange in a system in a non-quasi-static process (e.g. due to friction etc., or due to a difference in the entropy change (but here I am confused about, how this is connected)). Is this correct?

Are there nice ways to illustrate the other ones? Or is this simply a waste of time? (if I don't have an ituition for what I am doing I always find it difficult to find solutions for a problem).

thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sisife, welcome to PF. First, G is E-TS+PV. Second, it may be easiest to think of the potentials as "barometers" for spontaneity for processes occurring under different conditions. For processes at constant temperature and pressure, G must be negative for any spontaneous process. At constant temperature and volume, the Helmholtz energy (A or F) must be negative, and so on.

These relationships can all be derived from the required entropy increase during any spontaneous process in a closed system.

Mapes said:
For processes at constant temperature and pressure, G must be negative for any spontaneous process.

You mean to write: For processes at constant temperature and pressure, *the change in* G must be negative for any spontaneous process.

I.e., G decreases...

To the OP, you can compare the above statement to what happens to the energy in mechanical processes--E.g., a ball rolls *down* a hill--a spontaneous process decreases the potential energy.

That's a good picture, that will help.
Thank you!

1. What is the significance of thermodynamic potentials?

Thermodynamic potentials such as F (Helmholtz free energy), H (enthalpy), G (Gibbs free energy), and E (internal energy) are important quantities in thermodynamics as they provide information about the state of a system and its ability to do work. They are useful for predicting the direction of spontaneous processes and determining the equilibrium conditions of a system.

2. How are thermodynamic potentials related to each other?

Thermodynamic potentials are related to each other through mathematical equations known as Legendre transforms. Each potential can be expressed in terms of other potentials, allowing for the calculation of one potential from another. For example, Gibbs free energy (G) is related to enthalpy (H) and entropy (S) through the equation G = H - TS.

3. What is the difference between extensive and intensive thermodynamic potentials?

Extensive thermodynamic potentials, such as internal energy (E) and enthalpy (H), depend on the size or amount of a system. Intensive thermodynamic potentials, such as temperature (T) and pressure (P), do not depend on the size of the system. Intensive potentials are often more useful as they are independent of the system size and therefore easier to measure and compare between different systems.

4. How do thermodynamic potentials change during a phase transition?

During a phase transition, there is a change in the thermodynamic potential that is characteristic of the transition. For example, during a liquid to gas transition, there is a change in the Gibbs free energy (G) of the system. This change can be used to determine the conditions under which the phase transition will occur, such as the boiling point of a substance.

5. What is the role of thermodynamic potentials in chemical reactions?

Thermodynamic potentials play a key role in understanding and predicting the behavior of chemical reactions. The change in Gibbs free energy (ΔG) of a reaction can determine whether the reaction is spontaneous (ΔG < 0) or non-spontaneous (ΔG > 0). Additionally, the equilibrium constant (K) of a reaction is related to the change in Gibbs free energy through the equation ΔG = -RTlnK, where R is the gas constant and T is the temperature.