Velocity vs Momentum: Kinetic Theory & Relativistic Systems

In summary, In kinetic theory, the velocity variable is used instead of the momentum variable. This may cause problems when trying to generalize to relativistic systems. However, the equation for kinetic energy still includes momentum. In a relativistic setting, the number density is the same but the equation for momentum is slightly different. The phase space is defined by the position vector and momentum vector. Additionally, in understanding kinetic energy, it is important to note that it is the rate of change of momentum with respect to velocity.
TriTertButoxy
Why is it in kinetic theory one uses the velocity variable, instead of the momentum variable? Wouldn't this cause problems when trying to generalize to relativistic systems?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I understand your question.

Momentum is in the equation. It's just hiding.
You could think of the equation for kinetic energy as [tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}pv[/tex]

because [tex]p = mv[/tex]

I don't know if this answers your question.

Kinetic Theory distribution function (numbrt density) is

N(x,p,t)=dN/d^2V=dN/dVxdVp

N is the number density and it is a function of the position vector, x, the momentum vector, p, and time, t.

In a relativistic setting the number density is the same except now

p=mv/sqrt(1-v^2)

The vector space x and the momentum space p, define a 6 dimensional phase space.

Hope that helps.

Matt

The above equation for p in a relativistic setting only holds for a particle with zero rest mass. (travels at the speed of light)

Archosaur said:
I think I understand your question.

Momentum is in the equation. It's just hiding.
You could think of the equation for kinetic energy as [tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}pv[/tex]

because [tex]p = mv[/tex]

I don't know if this answers your question.

Also worth noting in understanding kinetic energy

is that

KE= dp/dv

or the rate of change of momentum with respect to velocity.

1. What is the difference between velocity and momentum?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity combined. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in which direction, while momentum tells us how much force an object has as a result of its mass and velocity.

2. How does kinetic theory explain the relationship between velocity and momentum?

Kinetic theory states that all particles in a substance are constantly in motion, and their speed and direction of movement determine their momentum. The faster and heavier a particle is, the more momentum it will have. This theory also explains why increasing the temperature of a substance can increase the average velocity and therefore the momentum of its particles.

3. Can velocity and momentum change in a relativistic system?

Yes, in a relativistic system, velocity and momentum can change due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. As an object approaches the speed of light, its velocity will increase but its momentum will decrease due to the increase in mass. This is known as relativistic momentum.

4. How does the conservation of momentum apply to velocity in a closed system?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that if two objects collide, their combined momentum before the collision will be equal to their combined momentum after the collision. This applies to velocity as well - the total velocity of all objects in a closed system will remain constant, even if individual velocities change.

5. What is the difference between classical and relativistic systems in terms of velocity and momentum?

In classical systems, velocity and momentum are directly proportional, meaning that as one increases, so does the other. However, in relativistic systems, velocity and momentum are not directly proportional due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. Additionally, in classical systems, the mass of an object remains constant, whereas in relativistic systems, the mass can change due to the increase in velocity.