Acousto optical modulators

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, Niles is discussing the frequency-shift of an AOM working in the Bragg regime, which can be calculated using Bragg's law. He also mentions that the frequency-shift is constant and can be changed by adjusting the angle of incidence. However, he is confused about how the frequency shift can be changed when the frequency of the phonons in the material is constant. He mentions using Boyd's Nonlinear Optics book for more information.
Niles
Hi

Say I am looking at an AOM working in the Bragg regime (i.e., only a single diffracted beam). It is easy to show using Bragg's law that the frequency-shift Ω of the diffracted wave is given by
[tex]
\Omega = 2n\omega \frac{v}{c}\sin(\theta)
[/tex]
Here Ω is *also* the frequency the AOM is driven with, in other words the LHS is constant in the sense that in does not depend on the incoming light (so the frequency-shift imparted on the wave is constant). However, the RHS does depend on the incoming light, since the angle θ of the diffracted beam is equal to the angle of incidence of the incoming beam, so I can change it easily by e.g. turning the AOM.

In my book it says that the shift Ω is zero for forward scattering and maximum for backscattering. This is what I don't understand: The shift Ω is the same as the frequency of the phonons in the material, which is *constant*. So how can I change the frequency shift of the diffracted wave by changing the angle on incidence? Niles.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
OK, I understand my error now.

What book are you using? I have one by Korpel, and it's not working for me...

I am using Boyd's Nonlinear Optics, it has a nice chapter on spontaneous light-scattering including Acoustooptics. I hope it works out. Niles.

Hello Niles,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. Acousto-optic modulators (AOMs) are devices that use acoustic waves to modulate light. The Bragg regime, as you mentioned, refers to the condition where only a single diffracted beam is present. In this regime, the frequency shift Ω of the diffracted wave is indeed constant, as it is determined by the material properties and the angle of incidence.

However, the angle of incidence can be changed by turning the AOM, as you mentioned. This means that the angle θ of the diffracted beam can also be changed. And since the frequency shift Ω is dependent on θ, it can also be changed. This is why the frequency shift can vary for different angles of incidence, even though it is a constant value for a fixed angle.

In terms of forward and backscattering, this has to do with the direction of the acoustic wave in the AOM. In forward scattering, the acoustic wave propagates in the same direction as the incident light, resulting in a smaller angle of incidence and therefore a smaller frequency shift. In backscattering, the acoustic wave propagates in the opposite direction, leading to a larger angle of incidence and a larger frequency shift.

I hope this helps to clarify your confusion. AOMs are fascinating devices that have many applications in optics and photonics. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.

1. What is an acousto-optical modulator (AOM)?

An acousto-optical modulator is a device that uses sound waves to modulate the intensity of light passing through it. This modulation is achieved by creating a diffraction grating within the material, which causes scattered light to be redirected and modulated by the sound waves.

2. How does an AOM work?

An AOM consists of a piezoelectric material, such as quartz or lithium niobate, which changes shape when an electrical current is applied. This creates sound waves that travel through the material and create a diffraction grating. When a laser beam passes through the grating, its intensity is modulated by the sound waves.

3. What are the applications of AOMs?

AOMs are commonly used in laser systems for applications such as laser communication, laser printing, laser spectroscopy, and laser machining. They are also used in optical imaging techniques, such as optical coherence tomography and confocal microscopy, to modulate the intensity of the laser beam.

4. What are the advantages of using AOMs?

AOMs offer fast modulation speeds, typically in the range of nanoseconds, making them suitable for high-speed applications. They also have high modulation efficiencies and can achieve large modulation depths. Additionally, AOMs are compact, lightweight, and have no moving parts, making them reliable and easy to integrate into optical systems.

5. Are there any limitations of AOMs?

One limitation of AOMs is that they can only modulate the intensity of light in a single direction. This means that they cannot be used to modulate light in both the forward and backward directions simultaneously. AOMs also have limited bandwidths, which can restrict their use in some applications.