Several Questions from the 2012 GCE AL Sri Lanka

• Thread starter Knightycloud
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses identifying organic compounds, determining oxidation values, and predicting reactions with different compounds. The correct answers were 1-hydroxy-2-methylpent-4-yn-3-one, +4, methanol + CH2NH2-(Phenol) * (OH- at the meta place relative to the methyl amine, and Benzoic acid, m-nitro Benzoic acid, p-nitro Benzoic acid. The incorrect answer was the release of CO2 from NaHCO3 when reacting with HC\equivC-CH2CH2CH2NH2.
Knightycloud

Homework Statement

1. Name the Organic compound (Picture 1)
2. In the compound NSF what is the oxidation value of Sulfur?
3. What happens when HC[itex]\equiv[/itex]C-CH2CH2CH2NH2 + NaHCO3?
4. What are the compounds that will form by reacting the compound shown in the picture 2 with LiAlH4?
5. What is the ascending order of these acids.
Benzoic acid, m-nitro Benzoic acid, p-nitro Benzoic acid

2. The attempt at a solution
1. 1-hydroxy-2-methylpent-4-yn-3-one
2. +4
3. Releases CO2
4. Methanol + CH2NH2-(Phenol) * (OH- at the meta place relative to the methyl amine.
5 . Benzoic acid, p-nitro Benzoic acid, m-nitro Benzoic acid

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 319
  • Organic Compound.JPG
    Organic Compound.JPG
    1.8 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Correct
2. Correct
3. I don't think so. Alkynes are not that of strong acids to release CO2 from NaHCO3
4. Correct
5. Benzoic Acid, m-nitro Benzoic Acid, p-nitro Benzoic Acid.

WOO! Thanks bud. So I got all the 1,2,3,4 correct but 5th one wrong :( Anyway that's great! Thanks again!

You mentioned 3rd one incorrect. Did you corrected yourself afterwards?

Yeah. I was wondering if it releases CO2 then I thought it won't! 1 point for me!

1. What is the GCE AL Sri Lanka?

The GCE AL Sri Lanka refers to the General Certificate of Education Advanced Level examination in Sri Lanka. It is a national examination that is typically taken by students at the end of their secondary education to determine their eligibility for higher education.

2. How is the GCE AL Sri Lanka structured?

The GCE AL Sri Lanka is divided into two parts: the Advanced Subsidiary Level (AS Level) and the Advanced Level (A Level). The AS Level consists of one year of study and the A Level consists of two years of study. Each level has a combination of compulsory and optional subjects that students can choose from.

3. When is the GCE AL Sri Lanka held?

The GCE AL Sri Lanka is typically held in the month of August each year. However, there may be special arrangements for students who are unable to sit for the exam during this time due to extenuating circumstances.

4. What subjects are offered in the GCE AL Sri Lanka?

There are a wide range of subjects offered in the GCE AL Sri Lanka, including Mathematics, Science, Arts, and Languages. Some subjects may also have different variations, such as Physics and Applied Mathematics.

5. How are the GCE AL Sri Lanka results graded?

The GCE AL Sri Lanka results are graded on a scale from A to F, with A being the highest grade and F being a fail. The results are calculated based on the student's performance in their exams, coursework, and practical assessments.