Canadian Student Asks: Is It Possible to Pursue Engineering and Physics?

In summary, the speaker is a Canadian student studying Mathematical Physics at the University of Waterloo. They struggled with their physics courses but still have a strong interest in the subject. They are considering taking engineering classes and possibly pursuing a graduate degree in engineering before returning to physics. They are also interested in quantum computing and frustrated by the limited number of electives they can take.
Big Bad Bozak
Hello, I am a Canadian student, currently studying Mathematical Physics at the University of Waterloo. I finished my first year and I can safely say that I enjoyed my program. I performed relatively well on my Math courses, getting 80s however, my physics marks were sub-par, scraping 76 in Physics 121 (physics I) and a 68 in phys 122 (physics II). While I am not the one for excuses, I can say that taking a CS-major computer science course as an elective without any such background in comp sci was time consuming and took away from focusing on physics. Yet, I feel I do exceptional when I focus on physics (and I love it); for example, I brought my mark up from a 56 to a 76 in physics 1, after the exam.

Basically, my problem has always been that I am scared of bad marks because I know that the competition is extreme in academia, especially in a field like physics where barely 20 students graduate in 4th year when 150 were accepted in the first year. So I was on the verge of changing my major to biology but I realized that it was too boring for me and I essentially had ZERO motivation to study. So, I looked myself in the mirror and said "Buddy, just work your @ss off in mathematical physics." And while it is easy to say that, I still am quite nervous but at the same time very excited and looking forward to my 2nd year courses when I take Calc 3, Lin Alge 2, Differential Eq, Quantum Physics and E&M.

Also, I took a Modern ALgebra class as an elective and really enjoyed it and thought I'd try a few pure math courses (and I know its brutal). But I also have developed an interest in engineering because it obviously related to physics. So I decided I am going to attend an electrical engineering class just to learn the course material.
After this rant, I was just wondering if it is possible to pursue engineering in graduate school (perhaps masters) and then go back to physics, and also somehow fit in math in there. I know I'm thinking ahead but perhaps some wisemen can help me out here.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Big Bad Bozak said:
After this rant, I was just wondering if it is possible to pursue engineering in graduate school (perhaps masters) and then go back to physics, and also somehow fit in math in there.

It depends what you mean. A physicist can certainly go into engineering positions and would fit well. By 'go back to physics' you presumably mean in some sort of academic capacity? That would all depend on what type of engineering you did. It would be unusual for someone to plan to leave a field then come back to it in any case. And if you're working in engineering or physics you'll be using math anyway.Lastly, that's a tough schedule for your second year (well, 'important' is a better word) - presumably QM and EM are in the latter parts of the year. Make sure you nail those 3 math courses - they'll become extremely important for your physics and will make a huge difference for EM especially. When I was at university, I found that the complexity of the mathematics in a math course was always a touch above the complexity that was required in physics (which makes sense, since in physics you need to deal with the concepts as well). This means that if you understand your differential equations course inside out, you'll have much more room to work on pure understanding in the physics applications.

Last edited:
fasterthanjoao said:
It depends what you mean. A physicist can certainly go into engineering positions and would fit well. By 'go back to physics' you presumably mean in some sort of academic capacity? That would all depend on what type of engineering you did. It would be unusual for someone to plan to leave a field then come back to it in any case. And if you're working in engineering or physics you'll be using math anyway.Lastly, that's a tough schedule for your second year (well, 'important' is a better word) - presumably QM and EM are in the latter parts of the year. Make sure you nail those 3 math courses - they'll become extremely important for your physics and will make a huge difference for EM especially. When I was at university, I found that the complexity of the mathematics in a math course was always a touch above the complexity that was required in physics (which makes sense, since in physics you need to deal with the concepts as well). This means that if you understand your differential equations course inside out, you'll have much more room to work on pure understanding in the physics applications.

Thanks for the input. I'm planning to attend a few electrical engineering classes because I think out of all the other engineering subjects it would be the most interesting (mechanical engineering = fluids, forces, motion correct me if I'm wrong. chemeng = NO GOD NO CHEM). And I was thinking if I can pursue something in either EE or Engineering physics in the future, I would be able to use both the theory learned in physics as well as the applications learned in engineering. Also, UW is affiliated with Institute of Quantum Computing; from what I understand, Quantum computing and information processing is both interesting and marketable. It bothers me that there's so much out there but my lack of electives won't let me take half of the courses which I want to take =( . To be honest, I am more scared of the physics courses then the math courses, since they are just a build up calculus, which I think is algorithmic once you do a few practice problems. Of course, correct me if I'm wrong.
Nonetheless, thank you :D

1. Can I pursue engineering and physics at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to pursue both engineering and physics as a student in Canada. Many universities offer combined or dual degree programs that allow students to study both disciplines simultaneously. These programs typically require students to take a combination of engineering and physics courses, and may take longer to complete than a single degree program.

2. What is the benefit of pursuing engineering and physics together?

Studying engineering and physics together can provide a well-rounded education and open up a wide range of career opportunities. As an engineer, having a strong understanding of physics can help you design and analyze complex systems. On the other hand, as a physicist, an engineering background can help you apply theoretical knowledge to practical applications.

3. Are there any specific universities in Canada that offer combined engineering and physics programs?

Yes, there are several universities in Canada that offer combined engineering and physics programs. Some examples include the University of Waterloo, the University of Toronto, and the University of British Columbia. It is important to research each program to determine which one best fits your academic and career goals.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to pursue engineering and physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is essential for both engineering and physics. These disciplines involve complex mathematical concepts and equations, and students will need to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. It is recommended to have taken advanced math courses in high school before pursuing a combined degree in engineering and physics.

5. Can I switch between engineering and physics during my studies?

Some universities may allow students to switch between engineering and physics during their studies, but it ultimately depends on the specific program and university policies. It is important to discuss your options with your academic advisor and carefully plan out your course schedule to ensure that you can make the switch without significantly prolonging your studies.