Force Required to Overcome Friction

In summary, when calculating the force required to move a car, the main sources of friction are with the tires to the pavement, and with the rotating components (wheels, gears, etc.) within the car.
mburt
Hi,

My name is Michael Burt and I am level 3 physics student (high school), and I have a pretty general question about friction.

There's an old 2000 Toyota Corolla sitting in my backyard, and I was wondering what is the total forward force that the engine must create to move the vehicle, or even just the force threshold.

Some assumptions have to be made of course, involving rust and older parts. But I realize that the main friction is with the tires to the pavement, and moving parts within the vehicle.

The stock mass is listed at 1 095 kg, so I understand one of the forces of friction will be the normal force times the percentage of static friction...

Obviously there is a lot more going on here than just a normal force for friction, so maybe someone could explain to me other sources of friction with the vehicle!

I want to be able to find an electric motor to replace my gasoline engine (but maintain the same driveshaft, transmission and so on), using a variable power supply to act as throttle. And to my understanding, if I can calculate the forward force required to actually move the vehicle, then the wattage (J/s) of an appropriate motor could handle that.

Any advice/loop holes in my plan would be greatly appreciated,
Mike.

Engineering news on Phys.org
See this http://hpwizard.com/car-performance.html" for calculations and theory on the requirement for acceleration and speed for a vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that's exactly what I'm looking for, but thanks.

It seems too simple that the force required to push the car in gear would be the same force required by the engine (or electric motor) to move it?

mburt said:
I'm not sure that's exactly what I'm looking for, but thanks.

It seems too simple that the force required to push the car in gear would be the same force required by the engine (or electric motor) to move it?

I'm not sure what you mean by «push the car in gear», but the fact is that when the car will be in motion, there will be an acceleration and a velocity (no matter how small they are). These will determine the inertia and drag force to be compensated in addition to the rolling resistance (again, no matter how small they are). From there, about 15-20% of the total force needed will be to fight internal friction and inertia of the rotating components (wheels, gears, crankshaft, etc.)

There is no other way around it.

How fast you want to go (acceleration and velocity) will determine how much power you need; even if you are pushing the car with your hands!

1. What is friction and why is it important?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface. It is important because it affects the efficiency and performance of various objects and machines in our daily lives.

2. How is the force required to overcome friction calculated?

The force required to overcome friction is calculated using the formula F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force acting on the object. The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces and varies depending on the materials in contact.

3. What factors affect the force required to overcome friction?

The force required to overcome friction is affected by several factors, including the types of materials in contact, the surface roughness, the weight of the object, and the force pushing the object against the surface.

4. How does the force required to overcome friction impact the motion of an object?

The force required to overcome friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion of an object, causing it to slow down or come to a complete stop. This force can also affect the direction and speed of an object's motion, making it an important factor to consider in various applications such as transportation and sports.

5. What are some methods for reducing the force required to overcome friction?

Some methods for reducing the force required to overcome friction include using lubricants, polishing surfaces to make them smoother, and using materials with lower coefficients of friction. Additionally, reducing the weight of the object and minimizing the force pushing it against the surface can also help reduce friction.