What is the fastest way to remove all water content from steam?

In summary, the person is looking for the fastest way to remove the water content from steam without reducing the air velocity, in order to turn a turbine or generator. Options for removing the water include sloping and using steam traps. However, the person is advised to stop using the word "air" as there is no air in the system, only steam. The heat for the steam will be provided by a wood-burning fire-box in a cast-iron bbq pit, with a relief valve to keep the pressure under 80psi. The person is also advised that this is a potentially dangerous project and proper safety precautions need to be taken.
mark_d
I have a tank of water of boiling water and a small tube at the top. The output is to turn a turbine or generator, but I want to remove the water soon after it leaves the tank. That way I won't need to bother with condensation/water return later. What is the fastest way to remove the water content of the steam with minimal reduction of the air velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little confused, but will take a shot: there is no air, only steam so you can't remove it from itself.

If you meant something different, please rephrase...

as you cool down the steam, it will condensate on the sides of the tubing; there will still be pressure on the end of the capillary tubing, though. Something has to cause the pressure, doesn't it?

[edit] Ok, I misread since you're mixing some terms together -- there is no air here, just steam...

You're saying that as steam leaves the tank, some will condense to water before gettting to the turbine. Certainly. There's two ways to remove it: Sloping and steam traps. Slope the pipe back to the tank and the water will run back on its own. If that's not feasbile, you'll need traps at the low points.

But let's back up: since you're a novice at steam power production, what are you using for a vessel and how much are you pressurizing it? This is potentially extremely dangerous and we need to deal with that issue if we are going to help you with the project.

I want the steam to pass over a squirrel cage and turn a generator. The squirrel cage will have the water resistance of the water collecting on it (over time) unless I do something about that and I also have to design a water return afterwards. The easiest way to have dry air passing over the wheel.

Sorry, I edited my post late after rereading yours...so please reread mine. But also, it would be helpful if you stop using the word "air"...

ok. no air. The heat will be provided by a wood-burning fire-box and the vessel will be a cast-iron bbq pit. relief valve to keep it under 80psi. sloping is the preferred design. trying to keep it simple.

Last edited:
what is the difference between superheated air with 100% humidity and steam?

If you remove the heat from steam in a closed system, what is left- water and a vacuum?

what is the difference between superheated air with 100% humidity and steam?
There is no such thing as "superheated air". If a steam system starts with air in it, typically the air is purged to avoid doing useless work moving the air around.

If the system is open, the steam will drive the air out.
If you remove the heat from steam in a closed system, what is left- water and a vacuum?
Water and water vapor in a partial vacuum. You can check a steam table for the exact properties of the mixture.
mark_d said:
The heat will be provided by a wood-burning fire-box and will be a cast-iron bbq pit. relief valve to keep it under 80psi. sloping is the preferred design. trying to keep it simple.
I'm sorry, but that's not a legitimate pressure vessel and we can't support dangerous activities here.

1. How can steam be quickly dried?

The fastest way to remove water content from steam is through a process called condensation. This involves cooling the steam to a temperature where it turns back into liquid form, which can then be easily separated from the remaining steam.

2. How long does it take to completely remove water from steam?

The time it takes to remove all water content from steam depends on several factors such as the amount of steam, temperature, and pressure. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes.

3. Can a centrifuge be used to remove water from steam?

No, a centrifuge is not an effective method for removing water from steam. Centrifuges work by spinning a mixture to separate its components based on their density, but steam and water have similar densities and cannot be separated this way.

4. Are there any chemical methods for drying steam?

Yes, there are chemical agents such as desiccants that can be used to absorb water from steam. However, these methods may not be as efficient or fast as physical processes like condensation.

5. Is it possible to completely remove all water from steam?

In theory, it is possible to remove all water from steam, but in practice, it is difficult to achieve. There will always be some residual water content in steam, even after going through multiple drying processes.