Matlab: Appending numbers as strings to a variable name

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of appending a number to the end of a variable name in Matlab in order to create structures for multiple volumes of data without prior knowledge of the number of volumes. The suggestion is to use an array of structures instead, with the number in parenthesis after the variable name. This would allow for easy creation of structures without needing separate ones for each volume.
Meteochick
Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to append a number as a string to the end of a variable name in Matlab? I am working with radar data and want to create structures for each volume of data, but I do not know how many volumes are contained in each file, and I have so many files I do not want to have to go through and count each of them! Here's an explanation of my data and what I'm trying to do.

Velocity and reflectivity data are collected at a specific number of range points, over a series of azimuth angles which is repeated over a known number of elevation angles. The grouping of range, azimuth, elevation is what I am calling a volume. Each data file I am dealing with contains 5 minutes worth of data, but the number of volumes collected is not constant because the number of elevations or azimuth angles can change from file to file. I want to create structures for each of the volumes within the file so that I have something like: Volume1 =struct('El1',{Elevation_Angles},'Range1',{Ranges},'V1',{Velocity_data},'Ref1',{Reflectivity_data}, Volume2=(The same thing except for the next volume)...

Is it possible to have some representation of the count of the volumes and append to the variable name 'Volume' so that I can create these different structures without needing prior knowledge of the number of volumes? (i.e. something like Volume($count), as it would be in a c-shell script?) OR, is there a better way of doing what I'm trying to do here without needing separate structures?

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use an array of structures. Like
Volume(1) = struct('El', Elevation_Angles, 'Range', Ranges, 'V', Velocity_data, 'Ref', Reflectivity_data)
Volume(2) = struct('El', Elevation_Angles, 'Range', Ranges, 'V', Velocity_data, 'Ref', Reflectivity_data)

etc
Basically, just put the number in parenthesis after Volume instead of trying to append it as a string.

Last edited:
That makes sense! Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try!

1. How do I append numbers as strings to a variable name in Matlab?

To append numbers as strings to a variable name in Matlab, you can use the strcat function. This function takes in multiple strings as input and combines them into one string. For example, if you have a variable named "data" and want to append the number 1 to the end of its name, you can use the command "new_variable = strcat(data, '1');". This will create a new variable named "data1".

2. Can I append multiple numbers as strings to a variable name in Matlab?

Yes, you can append multiple numbers as strings to a variable name in Matlab. You can use the strcat function to combine multiple strings, including numbers, into one variable name. For example, if you want to append the numbers 1, 2, and 3 to a variable named "data", you can use the command "new_variable = strcat(data, '123');". This will create a new variable named "data123".

3. Is there a limit to the number of numbers I can append to a variable name in Matlab?

No, there is no limit to the number of numbers you can append to a variable name in Matlab. You can use the strcat function to combine as many numbers as you need into a variable name. However, it is important to keep in mind that excessively long variable names can make your code more difficult to read and understand.

4. Can I append both numbers and letters as strings to a variable name in Matlab?

Yes, you can append both numbers and letters as strings to a variable name in Matlab. The strcat function can combine any combination of strings, including numbers and letters, into one variable name. For example, if you want to append the letter "a" and the number 1 to a variable named "data", you can use the command "new_variable = strcat(data, 'a1');". This will create a new variable named "dataa1".

5. Is there a specific syntax I need to follow when appending numbers as strings to a variable name in Matlab?

No, there is no specific syntax for appending numbers as strings to a variable name in Matlab. However, it is important to remember that the strcat function will combine the strings in the order they are listed in the function. So if you want the number to appear at the end of the variable name, make sure to list it after any letters or other characters. Additionally, it is good practice to use descriptive and easily understandable variable names, even when appending numbers as strings.