How u guys find pdf,docs,or textbooks over the internet?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods of finding resources such as PDFs, documents, and textbooks over the internet. These methods include FTP, newsgroups, P2P, forums, and webpages. The speaker is specifically looking for resources related to the Copenhagen interpretation, hidden variables, and Bell's inequality, and is tired of using Google. The other participants suggest using arxiv.org, the Google filetype:pdf search, Los Alamos National Laboratory or its mirror sites, MIT's Net Advance of Physics, and Physics Napster. They also mention the useful feature of searching within specified sites using Google.
peter308
how u guys find the pdf,doc,or even the textbook docs over the internet?through ftp?newsgroup?p2p?forum?webpages?
recently,i am preparing a report for Copenhagen interpretation , hidden variables,and bell's inequality.i am tired using google,i wonder if there's a better approach for finding those resources,
if u use newsgroup,telling me the server u log onto will be appreciated,eagering for answers if the case happens to the ftp,p2p users.i am really grateful if u guys help me out!

best wishes!
p.s.if u have better means,please inform me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you yet discovered the glories of arxiv.org ?

Did you try the Google filetype:pdf search? Only PDF's will be returned.

As FZ said, the best source is Los Alamos National Laboratory or one of its mirror sites. However, the front page of that site is a bit sterile, and you have to know what you are looking for. That leads me to MIT's Net Advance of Physics, which takes many documents (mostly from LANL) and alphebetizes them by subject, making it much more user-friendly.

And of course, right here at PF we have Physics Napster, where we have collected many, many links to free pdf books and articles.

thx a lot.very helpful tools u guys suggest!

Another useful Google feature I'd like to mention: searching within specified sites:

site:edu
site:gov
site:physicsforums.com

1. How do you search for PDFs, documents, or textbooks on the internet?

There are a few ways to search for these types of files on the internet. You can use a search engine like Google and type in the specific title or keywords of the file you are looking for. Another option is to use online databases or repositories that specialize in providing free access to academic materials. Additionally, many universities and libraries have online catalogs that you can search through to find the specific file you need.

2. Is it legal to download PDFs, documents, or textbooks from the internet?

It depends on the source of the file and the copyright laws in your country. Some files may be available for free download through open access repositories or websites, while others may require a subscription or payment. It is important to always check the terms of use and copyright information before downloading any files from the internet.

3. How can I ensure the quality and accuracy of PDFs, documents, or textbooks found on the internet?

One way to ensure the quality and accuracy of these files is to check the source. If the file is from a reputable website or organization, it is more likely to be reliable. You can also compare the information in the file with other credible sources to verify its accuracy. Additionally, reading reviews or feedback from other users can give insight into the quality of the file.

4. Can I access PDFs, documents, or textbooks on the internet for free?

Yes, there are many free resources available on the internet for accessing these types of files. As mentioned before, open access repositories and websites provide free access to academic materials. Additionally, many universities and libraries offer online access to their collections for free. However, some files may require a subscription or payment for access.

5. Are there any risks associated with downloading PDFs, documents, or textbooks from the internet?

There is always a risk when downloading files from the internet, as they may contain viruses or malware. It is important to have a reliable antivirus software installed on your device and to only download files from trusted sources. Additionally, be cautious of any suspicious or illegal websites offering free downloads of copyrighted materials.