Absolute Value of e(i): Why is it Equal to 1?

In summary, the conversation discussed the definition of |z| for complex numbers, and how it can be used to show that |e^ix| = 1 for any real number x. The shortcut for finding the complex conjugate was also mentioned, and the conversation delved into the analytic continuation of the exponential function. Finally, there was a discussion about the validity of a formula and a proof that the only real and analytic function is a constant.
Vectorspace
Why does [tex]|e^i| = 1 [/tex] ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For any complex number z, we define |z| as z z*, where z* is the complex conjugate of z, right?

Then seeing that
[tex]|e^{\mathrm{i} x}| = 1[/tex]
for any real number x is a matter of applying the definition and simple algebraic rules.

Thank you very much buddy.
:-)

How is it obvious that [tex]\left( e^{ix} \right) ^{*} = \left( e^{-ix} \right)[/tex]? I'd use the sin/cos represenatation, but the way you suggested it implies there's a more direct way?

Vectorspace, you're welcome.

Using the sin/cos representation makes it explicit, because then you split it into its real and imaginary part.
For myself I always use the "shortcut": the complex conjugate is obtained by replacing every i in the expression by -i.

Oh I see. Is that shortcut something that needs proving, or is it something evident?

The analytic continuation of the exponential function which preserves the fundamental property of the exponentials:

[tex]
\exp{(z_{1} + z_{2})} = \exp{(z_{1})} \cdot \exp{(z_{2})}
[/tex]

and is equal to the natural exponential function on the real line, i.e.:

[tex]
\exp{(x)} \equiv e^{x}, x \in \mathbb{R}
[/tex]

is given by:

[tex]
\exp{(z)} \equiv \exp{(x + i y)} = e^{x} \, \left(\cos{(y)} + i \, \sin{(y)}\right)
[/tex]

You can show explicitly that this function:
1. It satisfies the above functional equation;

2. It is analytic everywhere on the (finite) complex plane by seeing if the Cauchy Riemann conditions are satisfied and that the partial derivatives are continuous;

3. It reduces to [itex]e^{x}[/itex] when [itex]y = 0[/itex] which is trivial.

Then, you simply use the definition of absolute value to show that:

[tex]
|\exp{(z)}| = \sqrt{u^{2}(x, y) + v^{2}(x, y)} = \sqrt{e^{2 x} \, \cos^{2}{(y)} + e^{2 x} \, \sin^{2}{(y)}} = e^{x} = e^{\Re{z}}
[/tex]

BTW, what 'mr. vodka' was asking. It is not necessarily true that:

[tex]
f(\bar{z}) = \overline{f(z)}
[/tex]

See Schwartz reflection principle for further discussion.

Thank you Dickfore. Could it be true though that your invalid formula is true in the special case of f being real and analytical? Then you can write the infinite sum and it seems reasonable that the complex conjugate of an infinite sum is the infinite sum of the complex conjugates, although I don't actually know how to prove that if [tex]\sigma = \sum_i^\infty a_i z^i[/tex] with a_i real and z complex, that [tex]\rho_n = \sum_i^n a_i \overline{z^i} \to \overline{\sigma}[/tex].

mr. vodka said:
Thank you Dickfore. Could it be true though that your invalid formula is true in the special case of f being real and analytical?

The only real and analytic function is a trivial constant.

Proof:
[tex]
w = f(z) = u(x, y) + i \, v(x, y), \; z = x + i \, y
[/tex]

[tex]
w \in \mathbb{R} \Rightarrow v \equiv 0
[/tex]

From the Cauchy Riemann conditions:

[tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = -\frac{\partial v}{\partial y} = 0
[/tex]

Because both partial derivatives of u w.r.t. x and y are identically equal to zero in the region of analyticity, it means [itex]u = \mathrm{const.} \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Q.E.D.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with complex analysis. With "real analytic function" I meant a function whereof the expansion [tex]\sum a_i z^i[/tex] has only real a_i's (maybe a characterisation of such a function is an analytical function with f(R) a set of reals?)

What is the absolute value of e(i)?

The absolute value of e(i), or the absolute value of the complex number e to the power of the imaginary unit i, is equal to 1. This is because e to the power of any complex number will always have a magnitude of 1.

How is the absolute value of e(i) calculated?

The absolute value of e(i) is calculated by taking the magnitude (or distance from the origin) of the complex number e to the power of i. This can be done using the Pythagorean theorem, where the absolute value is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary components.

Why is the absolute value of e(i) important?

The absolute value of e(i) is important because it is a fundamental constant in mathematics and has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It is also closely related to the unit circle and plays a key role in understanding trigonometric functions.

Can the absolute value of e(i) be negative?

No, the absolute value of any number is always positive, including the absolute value of e(i). This is because the purpose of absolute value is to measure the distance from zero, not to indicate the sign of a number.

What is the relationship between the absolute value of e(i) and the Euler's formula?

The absolute value of e(i) is closely related to Euler's formula, which states that e to the power of i multiplied by theta (expressed in radians) is equal to cosine theta plus i times sine theta. This can be seen by substituting theta as 0, which results in e to the power of 0 (equal to 1) being equal to cosine 0 (equal to 1) plus i times sine 0 (equal to 0), giving the equation 1 = 1 + 0i.