Product Groups and their dimensions

In summary: This also holds true for the group product, where the dimension of the direct product group would be the product of the dimensions of each group. In summary, the dimension of a group is the number of parameters needed to describe the group. The direct product of two groups has a dimension equal to the sum of the dimensions of each group, while the tensor product has a dimension equal to the product of the dimensions of each representation. This relationship also holds true for the corresponding group products, where the dimension of the direct product group is equal to the product of the dimensions of each group.
Kontilera
My understanding was that the product of two groups A and B will yield a group C for which the dimension of C is dim(A)*dim(B).
Now however, the author I'm reading defines the group product multiplication as:

(a1, b1) * (a2, b2) = (a1*a2, b1*b2), for a1,a2 in A and b1, b2 in B.

Does this give the same result for the dimension??

Lets take the example with A and B corresponding to the real numbers with addition as a group operation. This gives:

(x1, y1) + (x2, y2) = (x1+x2, y1+y2)... It looks like we have created the two dimensional plane! But dim(R)*dim(R) = 1 * 1 = 1. C should have dimension 1 not 2. :/

Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kontilera said:
My understanding was that the product of two groups A and B will yield a group C for which the dimension of C is dim(A)*dim(B).
Now however, the author I'm reading defines the group product multiplication as:

(a1, b1) * (a2, b2) = (a1*a2, b1*b2), for a1,a2 in A and b1, b2 in B.

Does this give the same result for the dimension??

Lets take the example with A and B corresponding to the real numbers with addition as a group operation. This gives:

(x1, y1) + (x2, y2) = (x1+x2, y1+y2)... It looks like we have created the two dimensional plane! But dim(R)*dim(R) = 1 * 1 = 1. C should have dimension 1 not 2. :/

Please help me!

What do you mean by "dimension of a group"? I think there's a huge confusion here...

DonAntonio

By the dimension of the group I mean the parameters we need to describe the group.. For the real numbers and U(1) this is 1. For SU(3) this is 3, etc.

I think the "dimension" of the direct product of two groups is the sum of the corresponding dimensions.

This is because of the exponentiation of Lie groups.

Edit:
After reviewing what you wrote, I am puzzled as to how you found the dimension of SU(3) to be 3?

Gah! hahah, confusing.
I think I am confusing the tensor product which I have encountered in the representations theory of groups and the group product.. For the tensor product the dimension of the representations is clearly multiplicative.. then I assumed that the same would be true for the group product.
It should of course be dimension 2 for SU(3)- it is topologically equivalent to the 2-sphere. :)

Kontilera said:
It should of course be dimension 2 for SU(3)- it is topologically equivalent to the 2-sphere. :)

These are incorrect statements.

Lets skip the SO(3) for the moment, and focus on the topic. What is the relation between the tensor product between two representation and the correponding product group? :/
Can anything be said here?

Yes, since representations are nothing more but matrices, and the dimension of the Kronecker product is the product of the dimensions, the dimension of the direct tensor product representation would be a product of the dimensions of the representations of each group.

1. What are product groups?

Product groups are categories or groupings of products that share similar characteristics or functions. They can be used to organize and classify products for various purposes, such as marketing, inventory management, or consumer research.

2. What are the dimensions of a product group?

The dimensions of a product group refer to the various characteristics or attributes that define and differentiate the products within that group. These dimensions may include physical features, specifications, materials, functionality, or target market.

3. How are product groups and their dimensions determined?

The determination of product groups and their dimensions depends on the specific goals and needs of the organization or individual conducting the analysis. It may involve market research, product testing, customer feedback, or other forms of data collection and analysis.

4. Why are product groups and their dimensions important?

Product groups and their dimensions are important because they allow for better understanding and management of products. By grouping similar products together and identifying their dimensions, organizations can make more informed decisions about marketing, pricing, and product development.

5. Can product groups and their dimensions change over time?

Yes, product groups and their dimensions can change over time. As new products are introduced, the existing groups may need to be adjusted or new groups may need to be created. Similarly, as consumer needs and preferences evolve, the dimensions of a product group may also need to be updated to reflect these changes.