Solving Oblique Triangles w/o Law of Sines/Cosines

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a red triangle and the limited information provided. The person is unable to use the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines to solve the problem due to the obtuse angle and lack of information. They ask if there is another way to solve for the missing side or angles. The expert suggests using the Law of Sines for obtuse and acute angles and provides links for further help. They also mention that the Law of Cosines can be used to solve for the third side, but it may give two answers. If the answer is nonreal, it is possible that the triangle does not exist.
KC60523
I need help solving for any other information about the red triangle. Due to the extremely limited information I already have, I can't use the Law of Sines (the angle is obtuse) or the Law of Cosines (gives no solution or non-real solutions for the information given) like I normally would. I only know the variables listed in the diagram. Is there any other way to get either the missing side or the other two angles? It has been a long time since I had geometry, so I'm hoping I'm just forgetting something simple.

Other information: a > b

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 446
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why can't you use Law of Sine? If you are naming top angle (to right) for [tex]\theta_3[/tex]then ,
[tex]\frac{\sin(\theta_3)}{a}=\frac{\sin(\theta_2)}{b}[/tex]
and the last angle
[tex]\theta_4=180^o-(\theta_2+\theta_3)[/tex]
and finally the last side:
[tex]c^2=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos(\theta_4)[/tex]

For me, using the Law of Cosines to get the third side is the obvious first step. I don't see why it should fail. It may give you two answers because this is the ambiguous case, but you just choose the one you know is correct.

If it happens that the answer is nonreal, then I think b is too short for the triangle to exist with that angle.

, a < c

There are other methods for solving oblique triangles without using the Law of Sines or Cosines. One method is by using the Pythagorean Theorem and the properties of right triangles.

Since you know that a > b and a < c, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of side a. Then, you can use the properties of right triangles to find the other two angles.

Another method is by using the Law of Tangents, which states that the tangent of an angle in a triangle is equal to the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side. This can be used to find the missing side or angle in an oblique triangle.

You can also use the Law of Cosines to solve for the missing side or angle, as long as you have at least two sides and one angle of the triangle.

It may also be helpful to draw a larger diagram and label any additional information that you know about the triangle, such as the relationship between the sides or angles.

Overall, there are multiple methods for solving oblique triangles without using the Law of Sines or Cosines. It may be helpful to review these methods and see if any of them can be applied to your specific problem.

What are oblique triangles?

Oblique triangles are any triangle that is not a right triangle. This means that all three angles are acute or obtuse.

How can oblique triangles be solved without using the Law of Sines or Cosines?

Oblique triangles can be solved using the Law of Sines or Cosines, but there are also other methods such as the Law of Tangents or trigonometric identities that can be used to solve them.

What is the Law of Sines and how is it used to solve oblique triangles?

The Law of Sines states that the ratio of the length of a side of a triangle to the sine of the opposite angle is constant for all three sides. This can be used to find missing angles or sides in oblique triangles.

What is the Law of Cosines and how is it used to solve oblique triangles?

The Law of Cosines states that the square of a side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of the two sides and the cosine of the angle between them. This can be used to find missing angles or sides in oblique triangles.

Are there any other methods for solving oblique triangles?

Yes, there are other methods such as the use of trigonometric identities, the Law of Tangents, or even constructing a right triangle within the oblique triangle to solve for its missing parts.