Applying at companies who don't list job openings?

• Thread starter feathermoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job List
In summary, it is common for companies to not have a job portal on their website and instead hire through other methods such as campus recruiting, headhunters, or personal introductions. Simply sending a resume via a contact us address is likely to be a waste of time. It is more effective to try to get your resume into the company's system, rather than targeting specific decision makers. "What color is your parachute" is a recommended resource for job hunting advice.
feathermoon
I come across a handful of companies which hire physics grads who do not have a job portal on their website. Does anyone have any experience applying at these types of companies? Does it generally mean they aren't hiring, or do not hire in this manner (perhaps they only recruit)? Would it be wise to just send a resume via their contact us address?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
feathermoon said:
I come across a handful of companies which hire physics grads who do not have a job portal on their website.

YMMV, but the vast majority of companies that I've worked with either do not have a job portal, or the job portal leads no where useful.

Does it generally mean they aren't hiring, or do not hire in this manner (perhaps they only recruit)?

The companies that I know hiring through campus recruiting, headhunters, or through personal introductions.

Would it be wise to just send a resume via their contact us address?

More likely than not, it's a waste of your time. If you send a resume to a random address, then it's just going to go into the trash.

Try to find out who is a hiring manager at a company you're interested in and try to put your resume in front of them. Read a book called "What color is your parachute" for some of the best advice on job hunting

jk said:
Try to find out who is a hiring manager at a company you're interested in and try to put your resume in front of them.

I don't like the concept of "hiring manager" since it gives a very misleading idea for how hiring decisions are made in most companies. In most companies, the hiring decision is a team decision. The manager makes the final decision, but he or she is going to look at feedback from the team.

Trying to get your resume in front of specific people is usually a waste of time.

Also, the trick isn't to get your resume in front of a decision maker, but rather to do anything you can to get your resume in the system. For that you don't need to know a manager, but rather just about anyone that works for a company will do.

I understand the frustration of not being able to find job openings at certain companies. However, it is important to keep in mind that not all companies list their job openings on their website. Some companies may prefer to recruit through other means, such as networking or through recruitment agencies. It is also possible that these companies may not have any current job openings but are open to receiving resumes for future reference.

In my experience, it is always worth trying to apply to these companies, even if they do not have a job portal on their website. Sending a resume through their contact us address is a good idea, as it shows your interest in the company and their work. It is also a good idea to reach out to any contacts or connections you may have at these companies to inquire about potential job opportunities.

Keep in mind that even if a company is not actively hiring, they may still be open to considering qualified candidates for future positions. So it is always worth putting yourself out there and making your interest known to these companies. Good luck with your job search!

FAQ: Applying at companies who don't list job openings?

1. What is the best way to apply at companies who don't list job openings?

The best way to apply at companies who don't list job openings is to first research the company and understand their mission, values, and culture. Then, reach out to the company directly through email or LinkedIn to inquire about any potential job opportunities. Networking and attending industry events can also help in getting your foot in the door at these companies.

2. How do I find out about job openings at companies who don't publicly list them?

You can find out about job openings at companies who don't publicly list them by networking with current employees or alumni, following the company's social media accounts, and checking their career page frequently. You can also reach out to the company directly to inquire about any potential job opportunities.

3. Is it worth applying at companies who don't list job openings?

Yes, it is definitely worth applying at companies who don't list job openings. Many companies prefer to hire through referrals or by directly reaching out to potential candidates. By applying to these companies, you may have a better chance of standing out among other applicants and getting your foot in the door for potential job opportunities.

4. How can I make my application stand out when applying at companies who don't list job openings?

To make your application stand out when applying at companies who don't list job openings, it's important to tailor your resume and cover letter to the company and the specific role you are interested in. Showcase your relevant skills and experience, and emphasize how you can contribute to the company's mission and goals. Additionally, networking and getting a referral from a current employee can also make your application stand out.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualities companies who don't list job openings look for in applicants?

Companies who don't list job openings may look for candidates who possess strong communication and networking skills, as well as a proactive and persistent attitude. These companies also value individuals who are knowledgeable about their industry and have a genuine interest in their company's mission and values. Additionally, having a diverse skill set and being adaptable and open to learning new things can also be attractive to these companies.