Log(z) gives an anti-derivative of 1/z

• Thread starter squenshl
  • Start date
In summary: This is where the calculus of residues comes in. You need to use the chain rule to integrate along the branch, and then use the residues theorem to get the antiderivative.
squenshl
How do I calculate
[tex]\int_C[/tex] dz/1-z when C is a line segment from 1/2 to [tex]\sqrt{3i}[/tex].
I know that in the complement of the negative real axis, log(z) gives an anti-derivative of 1/z.

Physics news on Phys.org

you need to use calculus of residues

ice109 said:
you need to use calculus of residues

I don't see a convinient way to use residues since this is not an integral of a close curve.

What you need to do, is to do a parametrization z(t) of the line segement.
Then you substitute z with a corresponding expression of t, and dz with a corresponding expression of dt, and then the integral comes down to integration over a real variable.

squenshl said:
How do I calculate
[tex]\int_C[/tex] dz/1-z when C is a line segment from 1/2 to [tex]\sqrt{3i}[/tex].
I know that in the complement of the negative real axis, log(z) gives an anti-derivative of 1/z.
I hope that last was a typo. The derivative of log(z) is 1/z. The anti-derivative is zlog(z)- z. Also, was that supposed to be [tex]i\sqrt{3}[/itex] rather than [tex]\sqrt{3i}[/tex]? That is, is the i supposed to be inside the square root or not?

Looks like tedious but straightforward computation from me. Assuming you mean [tex]i\sqrt{3}[/itex], C can be written [itex]z= (1/2)(1+ t)+i\sqrt{3} t[/itex] so that [itex]dx= (-1/2+ i\sqrt{3})dt[/itex] and [itex]1- z= (1/2)(1+ t)- i\sqrt{3}t[/itex] with t going from 0 to 1.

Put those into the integral and you should be able to reduce it to two integrals, one of the form [itex]1/z^2[/itex] and the other [itex]1/(z^2+ 1)[/itex].

If you really meant [tex]\sqrt{3i}[/itex], then
[tex]\sqrt{3i}= \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}+ i\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}[/itex]

It was a typo. Oopsy daisys.
dz not dx

Can we not use the Cauchy integral formula because it is not a closed curve.

I didn't do it that way but i got -0.944 + 0.117i

You can only use Cauchy's Integral Formula if it's a closed contour. Of course you could add two more legs and make it closed but that's not necessary. It helps if you write it clearly as an integral:

[itex]\mathop\int\limits_{1/2}^{\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}+i\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}} \frac{1}{z}dz[/itex]

Keep in mind it's logarithmic antiderivative can be made analytic along a straight-line contour between the end points so you can just evaluate the antiderivative at those endpoints as long as you use an analytic extension of log in a region containing the contour, say the branch that has a cut along the negative real axis. Can you then use that branch and compute:

[itex]\log(z)\biggr|_{1/2}^{\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}+i\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}[/itex]

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for Log(z) to give an anti-derivative of 1/z?

When we say that Log(z) gives an anti-derivative of 1/z, it means that the natural logarithm function (Log) can be used to find the inverse of the function 1/z. In other words, if we take the derivative of Log(z), we will get 1/z as the result.

2. How is this related to complex numbers?

This concept is related to complex numbers because it involves both real and imaginary components. The function 1/z is defined for all complex numbers except for z = 0. Therefore, Log(z) giving an anti-derivative of 1/z is applicable to all complex numbers except for z = 0.

3. Is this property unique to Log(z) or can other functions also give an anti-derivative of 1/z?

Log(z) is not the only function that can give an anti-derivative of 1/z. Any function of the form Log(z) + C, where C is a constant, will also give an anti-derivative of 1/z. This is because the derivative of a constant is zero.

4. How is this property used in mathematics and science?

This property is used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in complex analysis, differential equations, and physics. It allows us to simplify calculations involving complex numbers and also helps us find solutions to certain equations and problems.

5. Are there any limitations to this property?

Yes, there are some limitations to this property. As mentioned earlier, the function 1/z is not defined for z = 0, so Log(z) cannot give an anti-derivative of 1/z for that particular value. Additionally, this property only holds for functions of the form Log(z) + C, where C is a constant. It may not hold for other types of functions.