Work required to increase Earth/Moon separation

In summary, the Moon and Earth can be pulled further apart by increasing their separation by a factor of 1.6, resulting in a change in potential energy of 1.44 x 10^28 J. However, if the motion of the moon is not considered, the change in potential energy is only half of that value. Another approach to finding the work done is by keeping the kinetic energy of the moon and Earth constant, which results in the key's answer of 2.9 x 10^28 J.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The Moon and Earth have masses of 7.4 × 1022 kg and 6.0 × 1024 kg, respectively, and the distance between their centers is 3.8 × 108 m. The amount of work required to pull them further apart so that their separation increases by a factor of 1.6 is most nearly

Homework Equations

Etot = -GMm/(2r)
W=ΔE

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔE=(-GMm/2)(1/(1.6*3.8 x 108) - (1/3.8 x 108)) = 1.44 x 1028 J

Answer key says 2.9 x 1028 J
That's twice my answer. Is it possible that the person who made the answer key forgot to factor out the /2. Or should I be considering only ΔU? I did a similar problem from this chapter using ΔEtot and got the right answer. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the moon still in a stable circular orbit? I think if the motion of the moon is not considered than we have to take only change in potential energy.

What energies does your Etot include?

Why don't you do a check of the result by performing the work integration (integral of F.dr) for the increase in separation?

tony873004 said:

Homework Equations

Etot = -GMm/(2r)
Why is the 2 here? The potential energy of the system is just -GMm/r

BruceW said:
Why is the 2 here? The potential energy of the system is just -GMm/r
gneill said:
What energies does your Etot include?...
That formula is for total energy, not PE
U=-GMm/r
KE=0.5mv2, v=sqrt(GM/r)
KE=0.5 GMm/r
KE=GMm/(2r)
U=-2GM/(2r) --add the 2's so U and KE have a common denominator
KE+U=(GMm/(2r)) - (2GMm/(2r))
KE+U=-GMm/(2r) = Etot

I think mukundpa solved it. The problem did not state that the Moon achieved a circular orbit at the new distance. So with its velocity constant, all that changed is the PE. Doing the problem that way, I get the answer the key is looking for.

Thanks everyone!

another way to interpret it, is that they wanted the work done, given that the kinetic energy of the moon and Earth do not change.

FAQ: Work required to increase Earth/Moon separation

What is the work required to increase the Earth/Moon separation?

The work required to increase the Earth/Moon separation is determined by the change in potential energy between the two bodies. This can be calculated using the formula W = GmM/(2r), where G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the Earth and Moon respectively, and r is the distance between them.

How is the Earth/Moon separation currently changing?

The Earth/Moon separation is currently increasing at a rate of approximately 3.8 centimeters per year. This is due to the tidal forces between the two bodies, where the Moon's gravity pulls on the Earth's oceans causing them to bulge and create a tidal bulge on the opposite side of the Earth.

What factors affect the work required to increase the Earth/Moon separation?

The work required to increase the Earth/Moon separation is affected by the masses of the two bodies, their distance apart, and the gravitational force between them. Other factors such as the Earth's rotation and the presence of other celestial bodies can also have an impact on the work required.

Can the Earth/Moon separation ever stop increasing?

Under the current conditions, the Earth/Moon separation will continue to increase. However, it is possible for this process to eventually reverse due to various factors such as changes in the Earth's rotation, the Moon's orbit, or the influence of other celestial bodies.

What would happen if the Earth/Moon separation increased significantly?

If the Earth/Moon separation were to increase significantly, it could have major impacts on Earth's climate and tides. It could also affect the Moon's orbit and potentially cause it to move further away or even leave Earth's orbit entirely. However, it would take an extremely long time for this to occur, so it is not a cause for concern in the near future.

Back